XIX

"Who's in the shadows?Who's ready to play?Are we the hunters?Or are we the prey?" Game of survival - Ruelle

Who's ready to play?
Are we the hunters?
Or are we the prey?"
Game of survival - Ruelle

"PARDON ME, Prof. Flitwick, mind if I borrow Miss Anoixi for a moment?"

"Go ahead."

Daphne, confused, looked at Lisa Turpin for guidance. Her friend nudged her and told her to go in a hushed whisper. She worried she had done something wrong.

McGonagall was waiting by the door of the Charms classroom, looking at Daphne as if she were a fickle piece of a chess game. She got up from her seat, all the eyes of the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor first-years on her. Daphne closed the door behind her as she exited the classroom.

"What's going on, professor?" Daphne asked, trailing after the teacher in hurried steps. Gods, she was one elegant woman.

"Follow me." McGonagall only ordered, and she didn't think twice about obeying.

They went down to the ground floor, to the area of the greenhouses. McGonagall stopped by the door of greenhouse two, where the first-year Slytherins and Hufflepuffs were being taught herbology.

"Excuse me, Prof. Sprout," McGonagall called unemotionally. "May I borrow Mr. Carrow for a moment?"

"Oh, of course," Pomona Sprout said, patting his back. "Go, boy, go. One of your friends can tell you later about what you've missed."

Confused and startled, Theo quickly put his notepad in his black side bag and slung it over his shoulder, walking out of the greenhouse. McGonagall grunted and resumed her walking. The boy finally saw Daphne, who seemed to be still processing the situation. "Come on," McGonagall urged. Follow me."

The two trailed after McGonagall absentmindedly. They ignored the curious looks they got as they passed by students who recognized one or even both of them. They ignored the whispers and the murmurs because when the transfiguration teacher was escorting someone through the hallways of Hogwarts, it was never something good.

Plus, that walk of shame gave them time to think. Theo theorized that the portraits in the grand staircase had (obviously) snitched on the duo. Daphne imagined that McGonagall had probably discovered about the fart bags across the classrooms that she had put.

Going up to one of the tallest floors, they turned left and were faced with a gargoyle statue. McGonagall took a deep breath and said: "Chudley Cannons."

The gargoyle shifted, activating some type of mechanism. It shifted upwards and began spinning, revealing a spiral staircase that kept going up.

McGonagall began going up the stairs, delicately holding on to the end of her emerald robes so she wouldn't trip. The girls did the same, although Theo didn't hold on to the end of his robes as the girls did.