XX

"I know that you got daddy issues, and I do too

"I know that you got daddy issues, and I do too."
Daddy Issues - The Neighbourhood

DAPHNE FELT LIKE SHE HAD BEEN HIT BY A TRUCK.

First, there were the werewolves. She and Theo agreed not to tell anyone. Then, the entire school found out about it (they didn't know about the Greek mythology part of it, though—just that a pack of werewolves had decided to pay them a visit during detention). And then, there was the most time-consuming studying session she had to do for the year-end exams.

Winter quickly slipped away and turned into spring. The dry and white branches turned into blossoming flowers all across the campus, and although they made Daphne feel as energized as she could possibly be, she was also getting her ass kicked.

It had been a couple of tough moments. The trail of Bernard's claws went from an injury to a scar, reminding Daphne of her failure. And she asked her friends not to talk about it, which they totally respected. The topic of the lycanthrope attack had died down in a week, but some people still eyed her with pity, which made Daphne want to claw her eyes out.

She normally loved her birthday, which was on April 5th, but it passed by in such a quick blur of studying, training, and being angry at her arm that she barely took any fun out of the rush of her birthday approaching.

Her birthday had been a really good day, and it was all thanks to Theo.

Still, on the morning of April 5th, the boy woke up a little earlier and dressed quickly, rushing to the breakfast table before the great hall could be filled.

The Gryffindor table was a little emptier that morning, for his own luck. Sitting down casually next to Hogwarts' infamous troublemakers, Fred and Jorge, he had a smile on his face.

They looked at him weirdly. Clearly, they disliked Theo (all the Weasleys did— well, except Ron, and it took a while for that hatred to go away). It was an old rivalry; the Weasleys knew that the Carrows hadn't actually been imperiused by Voldemort, but that was what they claimed after his downfall. And the family of the redheads was known to not mind interacting with muggles— if Theo wasn't mistaken, they had helped contribute to the fight against the dark lord.

"I heard you two are great at breaking the rules." He stated. "Is it true?"

"Depends." Fred (or at least he thought that was Fred) answered dryly.

The son of Thanatos tugged on his sleeves and a golden coin fell into each of his palms. The twins looked at the money with interest.

"Can we talk business?"

"Consider us interested."

Theo smirked. "I need you two to pull something for me."

At the beginning of the afternoon, during lunch, Daphne and her Ravenclaw friend group were walking down the great hall, laughing at something Seamus Finnigan had blown up in charms.