CHAPTER 1

Jeongguk stared into space. His mood was somber as he tried to internalize the news he got from his brother, Namjoon. He was so eager to pick up his brother's call since it had been a while. They barely talked given that they both had busy schedules. He sighed and leaned on the desk finally letting the grief creep in. His father was gone. The man he idolized all his life other than his brother had died in an accident. At that moment, he wished he was back home in Korea. He should have been there with his dad. He regretted not flying out more to be with his parents. His parents were planning a trip to visit him in a month. His father wanted him to head a branch of their entertainment company that's why he went to university in New York. He had lived in the States for the past ten years.

Deep in thought, he didn't hear the door to his office opening, and his assistant, Sung Iseul, coming in. She knocked softly on his desk not to startle him. Jeongguk looked up, his eyes teary. Iseul's face looked solemn.

"I'm so sorry sir. I just got a call from the Seoul office." She said softly. "I have already booked tickets for tonight and sent someone to pack your bags. I have also cleared your schedule." Jeongguk nodded. Iseul was efficient that way. She was specifically sent from the Seoul office when Jeongguk became President of the Los Angeles branch. They had worked together for also six years, so they were in sync with each other.

"Have H.R. send a memo to every department."

"They are already on it. The memo will be out in a few. Why don't you rest a bit? I'll come get you once it is time to leave. I'm going to handle some few things." Jeongguk nodded. He found he didn't have any words to express his gratitude for having her. Iseul turned and headed to the door.

"Thank you noona."

"No problem Jeongguk. Get some rest, alright?" Iseul smiled and left the office. Jeongguk undid his tie and cuff. He removed his coat and leaned back on his chair as he reminisced all the moments he had with his dad. He had now lost both his biological parents. His mother passed when he was just two years old. He barely remembered her even with all the pictures he had. He was a spitting image of Jeon Micha. Jeon Ju-won, his father, had then married Kim Ara when he was three years old so Jeongguk could have maternal love. It was a bonus that she had a son, Kim Namjoon, who was six years old. Namjoon had made it his mission to take care of and protect little Jeongguk.

Later when Iseul came to call him, his eyes were sore from crying. She gave him some minutes to refresh and handed him some sunglasses which he wore gladly. He followed Iseul to the car which was in the underground parking lot. The ride to the airport was quiet and smooth. He went through the airport his mind still occupied. All the way to South Korea, the only thing that rang in his mind was his father.

Seoul looked lovely in spring. Jeongguk missed it so much. There was a driver already waiting at Incheon to take them to Seoul. They first went to his penthouse where he showered and changed to a black suit. When he went to the living room he found Namjoon seated on the couch looking haggard. He was already in the mourning clothes. Jeongguk approached him and Namjoon turned to him and then stood up. Without any words, Jeongguk embraced his brother tightly.

"Hyung, why did he leave so soon? I didn't get to say goodbye." Jeongguk murmured against Namjoon's neck.

"I am so sorry Gguk. I wish I could turn back time for you to have that moment."

"I want to see him," Jeongguk said as he moved back from Namjoon's arms.

"Of course. Our driver is already downstairs. We'll head to the morgue first then the funeral hall just near the hospital. Eomma is already there receiving guests." Jeongguk hadn't even thought about how their mother must be feeling.