**Chapter 08: Threshold of Understanding**

I used to believe I was the only one experiencing those emotions, but watching the clips, it's evident that Aria was also going through the same heartache, or perhaps she was feeling even more upset and uncomfortable.

A specific clip grabbed our focus, depicting Aria's reaction to a text message on her phone. Her expression shifted from indifference to concern, then to sadness as she read the message.

Curious, Mom enhanced the image on the screen to get a clearer view of the message. My heart raced as I read the words displayed on Aria's phone screen.

It was a message from someone saved as big brother, and it seemed to be causing Aria a great deal of distress. Her fist tightly clenched as tears threatened to spill on her eyes.

I couldn't believe what I saw. Her once bright blue eyes now clouded with sorrow, as if burdened by the weight of the world's injustices. After a few deep breaths, she quietly left the school premises.

She didn't come to school for next week. Then, in one clip, Liza asked me if I was dating, and I responded with a firm no. I don't have time for emotional distractions. However, that day Aria wasn't present to witness my denial.

After that when Aria returned she stopped avoiding me but started to say some mean and bitter words. As if she is deliberately trying to let me hate her.

I watched, in one footage myself approaching her and asking if she needs previous classes notes. "Whatever," Aria muttered under her breath, her tone sharp as she brushed off my attempts at further conversation.

Now I understand her words, though dismissive, carried a hint of bitterness, a mask for the deeper turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

Watching Aria's distress on screen, my heart went out to her, feeling her pain like a knife twisting in my chest. I felt helpless, torn between empathy and guilt.

I turned to Mom, my resolve firm. 'We must uncover what that message contained,' I insisted, urgency creeping into my voice. 'Whatever it is, it's clearly affecting her deeply, and I won't rest until we get to the bottom of this.'

However, Mom looked at me with an unreadable expression. Solemnly, she asked, 'What do you think of Aria, honey?'

Momentarily startled I replied, "She is my best friend Mom. She is Um, like a sister to me."

Mom casually inquired, "How much do you understand about romantic relationships between people of the opposite gender and the same gender?"

I hesitated, caught off guard by Mom's sudden change in topic. "Well, I know the basics," I replied, feeling a bit uncomfortable discussing this subject with her.

"I've seen relationships between boys and girls, but when it comes to relationships between people of the same gender, I'm not as informed. I mainly know them as friendships."

Mom gently rubbed her forehead before casting a regretful glance at Aria on the screen. "At times, I wonder if choosing Evergreen was the right decision for us," she reflected. "While it boasts stunning scenery and warm-hearted inhabitants, its conservative nature gives me pause."

I furrowed my brow, perplexed by Mom's sudden shift in tone and subject. "What do you mean, Mom? Why would settling in Evergreen be a bad idea?" I asked, feeling confused by her statement.

And did she just imply choosing to settle in Evergreen? That suggests her native country differs, doesn't it?

Mom sighed, her expression growing more serious. "It's just that... well, let me put it this way: Evergreen is very different from Basisphenoid, which is my native country."