~6~

I curled up small as I could in my seat and looked up at Cole, whose face had turned very serious.

"Everyone, get down," he commanded, and we did. "Now I need you to all be very careful, but I need Anna and Zane to switch seats," he instructed. "One at a time, and stay down." I had never heard him sound so serious. Serious as death. Of course, it was only a kid's show when I heard him talk, and now this could actually mean death. What fun.

I shakily crawled into the backseat and Kai and Jay grabbed me and I didn't even get in a seat, I just stayed curled up at the bottom of the car. Zane was practically climbed over me.

Another gunshot, and more breaking glass. Tires screeching. Sirens. Jay and Kai held me firmly. And I started crying, as one would.

Everything happened so fast. Next thing the car lurched terribly, sliding, tipping, and maybe crashing into something. I felt like the we were falling.... But then we were falling, and the car was tipping, and filling with water.

We had fallen into a body of water.

Kai started to panic and froze up. He let go off me.

Jay was screaming and Cole was shouting and punching the rest of the glass away.

Cole reached down- or across or up- I couldn't tell- and grabbed me and pushed me out of the car. Something got my leg and I could tell it was cut, which was not good. But I kicked and I swam and I reached the surface of the water, then spotted the riverbank and swam towards it with the remaining strength I had.

I am not a very good swimmer so I probably couldn't have saved anyone else if I tried, but as soon as I reached land and looked back at the water, I immediately wondered if I should have tried to help them.

There was no going back, though, and all I could do was breathe, and wait, and watch. And try not to panic any more. Ok, I was sobbing (like the big baby I am).

I noticed my leg but immediately looked away. Something really had cut through my jeans and blood was soaking through. It stung a little but all the blood was starting to wipe the sting away.

Which was not good because... I am afraid of blood. Like BAD.

I started sobbing and getting lightheaded and I couldn't breathe...

Finally I spotted some movement from the water, two of them, maybe, and they started towards me. Then after a painfully long good 7 seconds the other two emerged and I let out a sign (more like a sob) of relief.

Cole helped Kai out of the water. Great. Water. Poor Kai. He was trembling all over as he clutched the earth and scrambled away from the shore.

Cole noticed I was crying. "W-what's wrong?" he asked.

"My leg," was all I could manage to say before bursting into loud sobs again. I'm such a crybaby.

"Hey, hey, it's okay," Cole said, gently laying my leg across his lap and looking at it, then he glanced back at me.

"I'm gonna pass out," I groaned, turning my face to the sky and clutching the grass.

"No, you're gonna be fine, I promise," he said, his powerful voice commanding the calm in me somehow. "Just focus on your breathing."

That didn't help much. But I focused on him, and his gentle touch, and how he tore a large piece off his shirt.

Jay and Zane were on shore now, and everyone seemed to be gathering around me.

"Let me help with that," Zane offered, and took Cole's place. I didn't see what he was doing; I couldn't see the blood. If I looked at it, I'd see how bad it was, and...

Cole hugged me.

Ahh.

I hid my face in his chest and he held me and I just focused on that hug...

Then Zane said he was done, and Cole backed out of the hug a little but still stayed next to me. We all sat there for a minute, catching our breath, processing what had just happened.

"We almost just died," Kai said, and Jay let out a squeak. I leaned into Cole and let more tears fall.

"Where are the sheriffs?" Zane asked.

Jay laughed nervously. "Not here."

"For now," Cole added.

"Guys, I just lost my car," I said quietly, laughing a little.

"Oh no, I'm so sorry!" Cole groaned. I never should have gotten into that car chase. And I could've gotten you killed."

"It's not your fault," I told him. "Anyway I think I still have my money in my pocket."