Chapter Four

A few days had passed since Weatherfall had arrived in Waterclan. Owlstripe was supposed to start his training today. He still had no idea who most of the Waterclan cats were, or where anything in the territory was. He hoped that the deputy could help him make sense of his new home.

New home... Weatherfall thought. Would he be able to convince Froststar to let him stay in Waterclan after a moon had passed? Did he even want to?

Where else is there to go? He thought. He decided that he would put everything he could into his training. He'd prove that he could be a Waterclan cat.

But how in the world would he keep the secret from Snowclan forever?

Owlstripe padded over to him. Weatherfall had been sitting in the corner of the camp, looking out at all the cats.

"Do you know any of their names yet?" Owlstripe asked him, sitting down beside him.

"Well..." Weatherfall felt stupid. He should have been studying! "I know you, Owlstripe, obviously," he said, "and there's Froststar, and I think the medicine cat is Cornnose..."

"Corntooth," Owlstripe corrected him.

"Right," Weatherfall said, shaking his head to clear it. He had been thinking about Firenose, the Snowclan medicine cat!

I need to focus, he thought. He couldn't think about Snowclan, he had to get into the mindset of Waterclan.

"Well, it's a start," Owlstripe said. "Today I'm going to show you around our territory and introduce you to everybody."

"Okay," Weatherfall said. "That's good, because I have no idea where anything or who anybody is!"

Owlstripe laughed. "I know," she said. "You've been sulking since you got here! I was hoping that you would introduce yourself to your new Clanmates, but I guess I was wrong."

"Oops," Weatherfall said.

Owlstripe led him around the camp, introducing him to the Waterclan cats. Weatherfall got so confused after hearing all the new names. He knew it would take him forever to memorize them all!

Zebraclaw is the white and black tabby, and Flowerpatch is the white and brown tabby, he thought. Dovepelt is the only elder and Pebbleheart and Plumwillow are his children... oh wait, his name was Plumfeather, right?

Weatherfall barely registered any of the other introductions. Most of the cats didn't seem interested in interacting with him, anyway. He wondered what they thought about him. An outsider to their Clan. No one knew the real reason why he was there... and they never would.

"I don't think I'll remember everyone's names," he confessed to Owlstripe after they had done their rounds.

"I know some cats who you'll remember," Owlstripe said, and she led Weatherfall to the nursery.

Inside, Weatherfall saw three small kits. One was a brown tabby, like Owlstripe, one was orange, and the other was dark gray.

"These are the kits you saved," Owlstripe whispered next to him. "My kits." She walked over to her children and swept her tail around them.

"Wow," Weatherfall breathed. The kits were looking up at him with wide eyes. "What are their names?"

"Vinekit, Flamekit, and Darknesskit," Owlstripe said.

Weatherfall felt pride surge inside him as he realized that the kits were alive because of him. Even though he had killed Rockflight, he had saved three lives. Surely that canceled out his sister's murder?