Scrapped ver of Wings

I said before that I rewrote the wings chapter because I didn't like how it started going, but I figured I'd post the scrapped version anyways so here 😋

——————————————————————————

Sabre sighed boredly for the umpteenth time, rubbing at his eyes under his bandana. The Guardian looked over to him in exasperation.

"Sabre, you've sighed seven times in the past three minutes. Are you really that bored waiting for Alex to return?" he asked, adjusting his wings which were outstretched and soaking up sunlight. Sabre turned to him with a frown, nodding.

"It's boring. I'm glad she offered to go grab materials but now that we're stuck waiting.." he sighed, flopping on his back dramatically. His ears flicked at the faint sound of rustling fabric as The Guardian shook his head. He rubbed at one of his ears, moving a few of the feathers before perking as an idea struck him. He sat up and looked to the cloaked figures wings, eyeing each of the out of place feathers distastefully.

He'd catch himself staring at his friends wings every so often, fighting the urge to fix up every single little out of place feather. Guardian looked over to him, raising a brow curiously.

"What? Is there something on m-"

"Let me preen your wings."

"..what?"

The Guardian blinked, then blinked again as Sabre continued staring down his wings.

"Your wings. They're messing and it's really starting to bother me, and now that we have time you should let me help." Sabre explained, looking to The Guardian. Guardian hummed, looking at his wings himself.

"Uh, sure." he decided, lowering his wings as Sabre moved closer. The player lifted a wing before pausing, looking to his friend with a hesitant frown.

"I probably should have asked before, like to be clearer, but you are sure I can, right?"

The Guardian looked a little taken aback before smiling, happy with the clarification of consent, given preening was a typically more intimate thing between close people.

"Yes, I am sure. Go ahead."

Sabre grinned before getting to work immediately, sifting through the feathers gently and expertly. Guardian sighed contently, the uncomfortable little irritation in his wing that had been bothering him slowly being picked away. He paused in thought before turning to Sabre with a question.

"How do you know how to preen so well?"

Sabre turned to him with a flick of his ears, "My ears and tail. I've got a lot of practice."

"Well, yes, obviously. But wings are a little different." Guardian smiled slightly. Sabre's grin fell to a small smile before he focused back on the wing.

"Yeah, I know," he said, sounding a little wistful. Guardian frowned, giving the player a minute to stew in his thoughts. Eventually, Sabre spoke back up.

"I used to have wings. Er, well, good ones, I guess?"

Guardians eyes widened and he looked Sabre over.

"Used to? Good ones? What do you mean?" he asks, concerned. Sabre laughed a little awkwardly, throwing out another loose puff of feather.

"Yeah, used to, in a way. They're not as.. functional, as before."

"But I don't see any at all? Did you.. lose your wings..?" Guardian asked sorrowfully. Sabre shook his head with a faint smile.

"Nah. I don't think I could live with myself if I lost them fully. They're just hidden."