Season 3 Episode 1: Ties That Bind Part 1

(A/U: The outfit on top is Winona's outfit and the outfit on the bottom is Sequoia's)

YOUR STORY SO FAR

In The Walking Dead Season 1, Clementine and Winona met Lee after Clem lost her family and home. He and Winona protected Clem and taught her the importance of... survival. Even a child should be able to defend herself from danger. Clem, Winona and Lee traveled to Savannah, where Lee sacrificed himself to save her. As he lay dying, Lee begged Clem to... Shoot him. Although Lee was all Clem had left in the world, she summoned her resolve and ended his suffering. After Lee's death, Clem with Winona and her (Winona's) daughter Sequoia found more survivors. People who helped her, such as... Kenny never gave up. His endless determination helped keep Clementine alive. Clementine remembered the joy she felt when she, Winona and baby Sequoia were reunited with Kenny. He showed her that survival depended on... honesty. Even when it didn't help him, Kenny was honest. He always let you know where he stood.

Kenny and Clem went north. Somewhere cold enough to slow down the walkers. At Wellington, the community would not allow Kenny and Winona in. Clem decided to... Leave with Kenny and Winona. Clem refused to enter without Kenny and Winona. They had been through far too much together. Clem learned the hard way that survival depended on... resources. Food, water, ammo: without them, survival is impossible. It never got any easier. Clem remembers how she stopped AJ's dead mother from biting him during an ambush, but drawing her gun risked angering their attackers. Clem chose to... Shoot Rebecca. There's no time to do anything else when a baby's life is at stake. When a man who had once threatened Clem's life was dying of thirst. He begged Clem for a drink of water. Clem... Showed Mercy. There is always room for small mercies. Besides, a living man has a lot more information than a dead one.

HOUSE

A phone is heard ringing. "(over phone) Hey." Javier said. "(over phone) It's time. Get over here." David said. "(over phone) Alright. I'll, uh... I'm gonna start packing up." Javier said. "(over phone) Now, Javi. You need to hurry. Look, I'm not giving you shit, okay? I'm just... You weren't here when Dad was sick, okay, I get it, but... you need to fuckin' be here when he goes." David said. "(over phone) I know, alright? I'm just... I'm on my way." Javier said. Javier runs through a neighborhood. He reaches a house. David sits on the front steps, drinking beer. "David! David, hey. Hey, David, man. I had to leave my car... Traffic's just... it's backed up for miles." Javier said. "He's dead." David said. In the window, Hector can be seen hugging a crying Mrs. García. "No... no, no... I... I tried..." Javier said. "You're a piece of shit, you know that?" David asks. David shoves Javi's shoulder. "One time... Just the one goddamn time that you needed to be here." David said.

"I tried, please... I tried..." Javier said. "You tried? You fucking tried?" David asks. "Everyone's here! They've been here for days, and where the fuck were you?!" David said. Javi tries to sit up, but David pushes him back down and holds him by his shoulders. "We're there... all around him. People who love him all around him... and he's scared. I'm seeing the panic in his eyes and he's searching the room. "¿Dónde está Javier? ¿Dónde está mi hijo?" I'm there right beside him holding his hand... like a good son. And he doesn't even see me! He doesn't even see me because he's looking for you! You don't think there's a million places we'd rather be? You don't think we all had to make sacrifices?" David asks.