Season 3 Episode 4: Thicker Than Water

(A/U: The outfit on top is Winona's outfit and the outfit on the bottom is Sequoia's)

FLASHBACK

Third POV

Javier and David are in the batting cage at a park. Javi hits his baseball, but David misses. "Oh, damn it!" David said. "Strike one!" Javier said. "I'm out of practice, that's all." David said. "Same here. I haven't held a bat since the league booted me." Javier said. "Well, you got all afternoon to get back in your groove." David said. "Oh, yeah, just holding this thing makes me feel better. You doing okay?" Javier asks. "Ah... I've been wrestling with something--" David said. "Hey! Hey, man, you're Javier García, right? The ball player? Can I get your autograph? If you could sign my baseball, that would be so awesome! I watch you play all the time!" The kid said.

"Sure thing, kid!" Javier said. "w, man! Thank you!" The kid said. Javi opens the cage and takes the pen and baseball from the child. "Who do I make this out to?" Javier asks. "Oh, no, no. No names. Banned players' signatures are worth way more on resale than personalized crap. Just your name is fine. Don't date it or anything." The kid said. Javi signs his name. "Hope you like it." Javier said. "Oh, yeah. I might get ten bucks for this!" The kid said. You made that fan's day. "Gotta keep those fans happy, big star. Let's get back to baseball." David said. The next baseball is launched at Javi. Javi hits the ball. "(in announcer voice) It's outta here! Ho-ly cow!" Javier said. "You just had to rub it in, didn't you? Does talking like that make you feel better?" David asks. "Yeah. You should try it." Javier said. David misses again. "Aww, son of a bitch!" David said. "Strike two!" Javier said. "Man, knock that shit off. I'm serious! You just talk, talk, talk. It's annoying." David said.

"Whoa! Sorry, David. Look, it's cool you're trying to cheer me up. Really." Javier said. "I still can't believe you actually wanted to come here. If I were in your situation, I'd avoid batting cages forever." David said. "Well, thanks for bringing me, anyway. I needed the distraction." Javier said. The next baseball is launched at Javi. Javi misses the ball. David noticed that. "See? We all have off days." Javier said. "Come on, man. Don't start sucking on my account. Next time, we go to the shooting range." David said. "I don't really shoot." Javier said. "But I do. And I'm good at it!" David said. As David is looking at Javi instead of the incoming baseball, it hits him in the arm. "Ow! Fuck! You gotta shut up! Stupid thing. My arm's throbbing." David said.

"(in announcer voice) García takes one for the team! That's gotta hurt!" Javier said. "Goddamn it, Javi. I fuckin' warned you! I remember I showed you how to play this game." David said. "Well, let this superstar return the favor. Watch this." Javier said. The next baseball is launched at Javi. Javi hits the ball. "(in announcer voice) Oh, my God, the crowd is going wild!" Javier said. "I got it. You don't have to rub it in my face. I'm done." David said. Javi chases after David, who has left the batting cage. "David. You're leaving already?!" Javier asks. "You said you were happy, so I'm done here." David said. "Come on! I thought we'd hang out all day." Javier said. "I'm not gonna spend all day as your cheerleader. You're a grown-up and I've had enough." David said. "What's going on? David, I don't understand." Javier said. "You don't understand because you only think about yourself. And I'm sick of it. It's been that way for years. You've always been looking out for yourself." David said.