Ochaco as a Hero

Underground heroes lived without comment. It was only in death that they were acknowledged. Then the details of their careers came out. The ranking of underground heroes was usually quite morbid since it was performed on the details that became available only after death. It meant the ranking was heavily disputed among Hero Otaku's since those underground heroes who actually retired, seldom released their career information.

As a whole, the general public didn't care. A few did, those who had been rescued or impacted by the underground hero and usually they just cared enough to acknowledge the passing of their savior, or jailer. As such, it was usually only direct family and other underground heroes who attended the funeral. Sometimes above ground heroes came too, but generally only classmates or those who had worked directly with the deceased.

Today was no different.

Kenji Yurei, better known in industry as the underground hero Phasma, was being laid to rest. His parents were in the front row, both dressed in black with their heads bowed. Behind them other family members gathered. On the other side were the heroes and at the back were a few civilians. Most of the heroes were unknown, underground heroes but this particular funeral had been mentioned in Hero Weekly because the Number 8 ranked hero, Uravity would be in attendance.

She was standing near the front of the mourners, with her head bowed. By her side was her long standing boyfriend, Izuku Ayirodimu, a young man who was making serious waves in the business world and who many tipped to be the next Bozos, Gates and Jobs combined.

"Oh Izuku," Ochaco said softly, fighting back tears as they listened to the elegy. "I can remember the first time he came to our house," she murmured.

Izuku gave her hand a squeeze to indicate he'd heard. "I remember," he whispered. He wasn't on the verge of crying.

He remembered the first time Kenji had come to their house as well. The arrogant twat had walked in like he owned the place but Izuku had seen he was awed by it. Their house was large but he saw no reason to settle for anything smaller. It gave them both their own space to live in with enough area for them to mingle. He loved it. He knew Ochaco loved it even if she was concerned it was too large.

The underground hero had tried to hide his surprise at the size and then had bristled when Izuku had given him a knowing smile, and offered him a drink from the bar. No, not that bar, the other bar because of course his house had two bars. Didn't everyone's?

Kenji had had to fight back his jealousy but Izuku knew he still felt it. It had been in his eyes, in the way he had looked at everything with that covetous gaze.

"You don't think it was his case that killed him?" Ochaco murmured.

Phasma's dismembered body had been found in an alleyway. What was unusual was that his various body parts had been phased together. It almost looked like his quirk had been used on him! Except his quirk didn't work like that. He could phase items, not himself.

"Was he working on something that dangerous?" Izuku returned her question.

The bastard had been, but to the outside world it didn't look that dangerous. But then, the outside world didn't know the Hikigane Trigger+ smuggling ring was connected to Dragon. It was better that way. Dragon was just the supplier, not the distributor and had no interest in keeping the Hikigane gang members safe. That was their own responsibility.

Phasma had been taking them out but the Banji group were ready to take over and the hero hadn't done anything about them. Another underground hero, Eraserhead had, but Phasma hadn't even thanked the man, instead he'd simply declared that he'd go after the boss over Hikigane and Banji... the Dragon.