Wattpad Original
There are 6 more free parts

Ch. 20: The Mating Proposal

Calla

Gerald called me into his office as soon as I'd arrived at work.

"Vicki Anatoli has asked for a meeting."

I couldn't have been any more surprised if he'd just told me he was having sex with my mom. "Really? Why?"

"It's unclear. She spoke over the phone to Jane. Said she was hoping we could come to a resolution."

"What sort of resolution? And for that matter, how do we even know that it was her on the phone and not a Humankind First operative?"

"It was a video call. Jane recognized her from her television appearances. As far as what that woman's motivation is and what she hopes to achieve, I'm assuming you'd be able to tell me that."

I swallowed hard. Was he insinuating that I had more knowledge of Vicki than I'd let on? "I'm not sure how I would know what someone like her is thinking."

"No?" He spread his hands out on his desk to make himself look as big and imposing as possible. "Then why do you think she specifically asked that you be the one to meet with her? You, Miss Bardot, and no one else."

It seemed I was capable of feeling more surprised because this last bit of information was enough to nearly knock me out of my chair.

"Well," I said, scrambling for a reason that would seem plausible. "I'm a woman. She was attacked by a male shifter. She probably feels I'd be a safer person to be alone with."

"That could be," he said, nodding. "Or perhaps she thinks that you'd be easier to manipulate than one of my sons."

Thinking about how Aamon could be swayed to do whatever a woman wanted simply by her wearing a low-cut blouse, or Liam's easy indoctrination into a world of fascistic fandom nearly made me laugh out loud. "Are you implying that I'm easy to manipulate because I'm a woman?"

"It's not a slight against you."

"Of course, it is." Damn Gerald and his patriarchal crap. "It's funny though, that you would pay me to improve your pack's reputation while simultaneously believing me to be a hysterical simpleton."

Gerald sat up tall in his chair, arms still stretched out, grasping the desk like he was about to lift it up and throw it at me. He may have been middle aged, but his presence was still authoritative and aggressive. "Your tone is out of line, Miss Bardot."

In my anger, I didn't care what lines I might be crossing...until I thought about this afternoon, and the event taking place to propose a mating between me and this man's son. Now was not the time to be obstinate.

"I'm sorry." I turned my neck and displayed it to him. "I'm just nervous about being singled out to meet with her. I can't help but wonder if she has a sinister motive."

"You're right to feel apprehensive," he said, seemingly appeased by my show of submissiveness. "I'm glad you see how terribly this could all go if you don't keep on your toes with her. We'll of course arrange the meeting on neutral grounds. You'll be perfectly safe."

Did he really believe that? If I'd been speaking to Rhys instead of his father, I'd have questioned him, but for now, I had to go along with whatever he said. "If you're sure of that, then so am I. When is this meeting happening?"

"Soon. Jane will let you know when the details are worked out, but there's no time to dwell on this any longer. Not today. I have a busy morning scheduled for you, and the afternoon, as you know, is also booked."

He gave nothing away with his inflection or mannerisms when he mentioned this afternoon, but a tension pulsed through the room that could not be ignored. Today was a momentous occasion, and he was keeping me busy until the big moment arrived. Usually, I was left to design my own schedule, so this was unexpected...and yet also probably the most predictable thing if Simone Bardot was involved.