CHAPTER 6

'TRADE WALKERS'
_______________________

I took a deep breath and mustered myself. This time, I have to test again if I am already worthy. Again and again, this process kept on reminding me how unworthy I am of anything even welding this staff. I extended my arm and grab the staff in instant. It was quiet for a second until it slowly turned into silver. My face lit up for a moment and fell again when the staff realized who's holding it.

The silver plates disappeared and the staff shook in my hand releasing that same of electricity and started frying my hand. I let go of it, stood, and shouted in disappointment.

"I thought it's for me. Why is it rejecting me again?!" I pointed at the staff while it's turning back into its wooden appearance.

Grinch just stared at me as if I am crazy. Maybe I really am crazy!

Why would I touch it when the old man told me to look after it? I stomped my feet away from the staff laying on the stone table.

I sat down on the corner and started polishing my weapon again. Soon, I'll wield it. I will make it happen. When that time comes, I'm going to hit the old man with it. Maybe a scar on his face so he would remember, will do.

...

"They are called trade walkers because if you encounter them, the only trade you can give them is your life."

I smiled looking back at Grinch who's unbothered. He looked back at me uninterested while I managed to grin at him and rolled my eyes.

"Just bear with me buddy, this is my way of recalling things and I need someone to talk to or I'll go crazy. Don't look at me like that, okay? Living alone for 4 years is hell enough. You're my only friend here. Come on!" I raised my arms up and lifelessly throw them down.

I dryly laughed at myself and kicked an ice ball forming on the ground. It has already been four years but I can't still wield the staff. I have so many questions I don't know where to start looking for answers. If it was not for Grinch that keeps me company, I would've been already dead because of loneliness and depression. I haven't experienced having a lot of money and buy luxurious and expensive things and I have a box of treasure! When I get out of here, I will make sure to go shopping and buy anything I want.

I ran happily skipping and humming. I know Grinch thinks I am weird sometimes but I can't help imagining the good things to come.

We were approaching the path to the riverbank when I heard Grinch growl behind me. When I turned around, he was already transforming into his bigger form and his fangs showing. I instantly pulled my spear out and looked back the path with my senses on alert. I then began to hear footsteps and a very familiar mumbling.

Trade walkers!

"Grinch, let's go back--Grinch!" I tried to call Grinch but he started running to the riverbank. I cursed at myself and contemplate whether I should follow him or save myself.

No, Grinch is a friend. He's a friend. I should do something.

'Fight'

It felt like I heard the old man talking in my head. I groan in frustration and started running. Just like what the old man always tells me, fight. Forgetting the old man's warning,  I ran all the way to the riverbank as fast as speed of light.

Before I even arrived at the entrance, I heard Grinch growling repeatedly followed by a whimper and an animal scream I haven't heard before. My whole body tensed because Grinch was never in a pain so he never made that sound.

"Grinch!" I shouted running fast closer to the riverbank.

When I arrived, I shouted again after seeing the most horrible thing I've seen in my whole life.