𝑖. Something brittle

Chapter one
Something brittle

            Within the bricked walls of the Lachapelle home — the one lined with vines, the inviting one strangers pointed at, telling each other this was the house they desired — three girls and their Mama walked around aimlessly

New dresses had just arrived, and if there was one thing these women loved, it was a new piece of clothing. It didn't have to be grand. Especially Carlotta was satisfied with merely a broche. The fourteen–year old girl had never learned much about the value of certain objects anyway. If someone were to tell her that her journal was worth a thousand pounds, she'd go outside, trying to sell it for 1200.

Fleur was more than appreciative for the luxuries her family could afford. Her fingers lingered on the embroidered body of the lightest colour of purple she'd ever laid her eyes on. She needed this to go well — at least, better than last year.

            This wasn't guaranteed, but there was one less factor working against her. Sloane married last season. No one would be looking at Sloane any more, because she was at home with her husband.

            Cristian Lancaster had won the battle of Sloane's heart. He fit right into the family, essentially since the head of the house had missed the presence of a fellow man. His son had abandoned his role of next–in–line, and instead turned to the casino. Officially, he still lived in parental house, but he was rarely ever seen. Cristian was kind, and thoughtful, and most of all, he cared about Sloane more than anything.

His biggest wish was for a big family, because he had never had that. (He grew up an only child and hated it.) When Sloane told him she wanted to wait, it contradicted everything he wanted, and yet he agreed.

"This is a remarkable fabric, Zahara." He said as he came into the hallway, where a footman was holding the box full of new clothes. Cristian's father had played a big part in the seamster's world. He was one of the few who'd known how to make smooth fabrics. Cristian had now taken over that business.

"It's yours, after all," Zahara replied. "How could it be anything less than impeccable?"

            "You flatter me." Cristian said.

            "Are you not excited, Sister?" Carlotta asked Fleur, changing the subject.

            Fleur looked up. "Y— Yeah, sure," She faked a smile. "Lola, don't you have somewhere to be? Any trees to scour?"

Lola narrowed her eyes, tilting her head. "Don't you have delusions to act upon?" Fleur mirrored her expression.

"Girls, please," Zahara said. "Fleur, I need you to be on your best behaviour today. We've been granted a second chance, and we need to be perfect."