𝑖𝑖𝑖. Vauxhall celebration

Chapter 3
Vauxhall celebration

            "Hello, Pen," Fleur smiled as she walked towards Penelope

"Hello, Pen," Fleur smiled as she walked towards Penelope. "What a beautiful dress. It suits you." She complimented.

Penelope's cheeks flushed red. "Thank you. Yours is quite beautiful, too." She looked to Fleur's dress. It was blue, with a smidge of green in there.

Fleur took Penelope's arm. "I am so glad you are here. I do not know if I would survive a dull affair such as this."

Over the last couple of weeks, Fleur has gotten to know Penelope Featherington and Eloise Bridgerton much better. It started when they knocked on the Lachapelle's door, asking politely if Fleur would join them for a walk along the square. Of course Fleur was happy to be out of the house. And it ended up being such fun, they would do so every other day. Pen and Eloise did so already, so now they allowed Fleur to join them.

"Where's your Mama?" Fleur looked around to find Lady Featherington, but couldn't.

"At home," Pen answered. "Marina is ill, so Mama stayed with her."

"Oh," Fleur said. "Please send her my regards. Hopefully she'll be better soon."

Much more chance for conversation they didn't have. Colin Bridgerton, the third oldest child of the Bridgerton family, approached. Fleur learned that Penelope had a friendship with him as well. "Pen. Miss Lachapelle." He acknowledged them.

Penelope had not yet seen him, and was thus startled when he spoke. The two girls curtsied. "Colin," Penelope responded. "I did not know you would be here."

"Sorry to disappoint," Penelope chuckled at his joke. Fleur saw Freya in the distance and waved. "Have you seen Miss Thompson?"

"She is ill. My Mama had to stay home with her. Papa had to chaperone," Penelope gestured to her father, drinking in the corner. It was obvious he had no clue what he was doing. "I'm quite enjoying the fact that he is here. Mama would never allow me to wear a dress like this. Not, uh, yellow enough, I think."

Two tall blondes made their way to them. A few girls followed. "Mr. Bridgerton," Cressida Cowper acknowledged Colin. They curtsied, Freya following along. "I believe you owe me a dance this evening. And I have only one more space remaining on my card at present."

"How convenient." Penelope said, making Fleur stifle a laugh. Cressida dropped her glass enough for the remaining juice in it to fall on Penelope's dress. Penelope gasped loudly as the cold liquid hit her skin. Fleur instantly tried to dry it with her glove, but it was no use.

"Penelope, I did not see you there." Cressida said. It was as if she thought anyone would believe her.

"Penelope, are you alright?" Freya asked her. She turned to her sister. "You are so mean, Cressida."