𝑖𝑣. A scandal is best served cold

Chapter 4
A scandal is best served cold

            When all balls are the same, they become dull

            When all balls are the same, they become dull. No one dances with you, no one even looks in your direction. Penelope shared this feeling, so the two girls did the same every ball. They stuck to each other. Until one of their Mamas pulled them away from the other to meet new people. Most of the time this was Zahara, since Lady Featherington was more occupied with Marina, Prudence and Phillipa.

            Outside of the balls, they became a trio. And today, the third party was able to actually join them at an event. Today was a picknick, suitors and debutantes floated over the water in small boats. Many tents were set up on the grass for all the families to reside in.

            The Lachapelle tent was chaos. There wasn't much surprise in this. Henri wasn't in attendance, but the remaining six members were chaos enough. Cristian and Franklin were discussing the best way to lead an army, despite neither of them having any previous experience. Sloane tried to eat a cake, but Lola kept poking her finger in it. Fleur sat in a chair, reading a book.

            Their tent was beside the Featherington tent. She closed her book. "May I go promenade?" She asked Zahara.

            "Of course," She replied. "In fact, I shall go with you."

            "That won't be necessary," Fleur said gently. "I shall go with Penelope and Eloise." She gestured to the Featherington tent, where Penelope was already looking at her, and to Eloise, who was making her way to her tent.

Before Zahara had time to answer, Fleur was off to Penelope, who, simultaneously, had asked for clearance as well. Together the two girls made a small run to Eloise. With Penelope in the middle, Fleur and Eloise were able to ask about the maid with child.

"Well, what have you learned from your maid, the one who is in the family way?" Eloise asked instantly. "What happened? How did it happen?"

"She said it was love." Penelope replied, but it only confused Fleur more.

"Love?" She questioned herself more than Penelope. "I have love for my Papa, that doesn't mean—" She stopped herself at the images of a baby in her belly. "That doesn't stand to reason."

Penelope agreed. "No, it certainly does not," She said. "Look at my Mama. Three children. Would anyone presume that had anything to do with love?"

"Well, what else did she say?" Eloise asked again. "Was she not frightened?"

"More . . ." Penelope searched for the right word. "Sad than frightened. But there may be a chance for her to have a happy ending yet, I suppose," Fleur and Eloise huddled up for that. "She wants to escape to the country, where she and her love will marry."

"Then she has even greater reason to be frightened," Fleur nodded along to what Eloise said. "Once she is married, her life is over. Scarcely an escape, Penelope. Oh, that poor maid!" Fleur furrowed her eyebrows. That wasn't the direction she'd thought she'd go.