07. LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN

07: LET THE SLAUGHTER BEGIN

━━━━━━━

IN ABOUT 30 MINUTES the Games were starting, it made Euphrosyne feel sick to the stomach. She had tried visiting the pair from 11 earlier, but the peacekeepers wouldn't let her through. She didn't even get to say a proper goodbye to Dill.

Euphrosyne nervously paced around the living room, fingers picking at the skin of her hands. She was tired, not getting a wink of sleep during the night. 

"Dad?" The girl called out. He hummed in return, not looking up from his notes. "Do you think the Capitol would ever allow two victors?"

"Definitely not." Helios scoffed.

Euphro tried not to feel dissapointed just yet. "What if they were both from the same district?"

"The Capitol would never be that stupid." He stated with confidence. "Allowing two victors would only give the districts more hope."

"Oh." If she wasn't feeling dissapointed before, she sure was now. Her shoulders slumped down as she let out a sigh.

Helios glanced up from his notes, squinting his eyes at his daughter. "You want them both to win, don't you?"

"Obviously!" She threw up her hands in frustration. "I mean, what am I gonna do? I can't protect both of them, one of them is gonna die. Maybe they'll both die, I don't know!"

"Come on, Euphro." He put down his pen, sitting up a little straighter. "Where is your positivity? You're never this negative, you know."

"There's nothing positive about the games, dad." She shot back with a frown. "It's just such bullshit!"

"Language." Helios stood up, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Breathe, sunshine. You're getting worked up and that's not helping anyone now, is it?"

Euphrosyne looked at the floor, a frustrated feeling stuck to her. A knock was heard from the door. "It's Sejanus." She picked up her shoes, putting them on while hopping on one leg towards the door.

"Euphro!" Her father called out. "Two feet on the ground!"

She didn't listen.

Her best friend stood in the doorway, a bitter expression on his face. She knew what his thoughts were, she had the same exact ones. 

Helios awkwardly stood behind his daughter. "Sejanus, thank you for picking us up."

"It's no trouble." He gave him a tight smile. 

No one spoke a word during the entire car ride. Sejanus must've been thinking about Marcus. No one knew anything about him, where he was, wether he was alive or not. Euphrosyne just hoped he was alive and well, she had full faith in him.