08. MERCY OVER MURDER

08: MERCY OVER MURDER

━━━━━━━

NEARLY EVERYONE IN THE ROOM was half asleep as Lucky did the weather predictions. Euphro could hear Persephone snoring loudly while Festus was rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

No one was really paying attention anymore. Only a handful of students were still watching the screen, waiting for some kind of action to happen. All the rest were either asleep or talking with one another. 

Euphrosyne's eyes were glued to the screen, not wanting to miss if anything happened to Reaper and Dill. The screen kept switching between tributes, the focus staying longer on certain tributes, like the pack for example. 

Most of the kids were hiding, the only ones actively moving being Coral and her pack. Reaper and Dill had settled down somewhere more in the open. If others looked hard enough, they'd definitely be able to spot the pair. Though, she doubted anyone would try to attack them just yet. Reaper was strong, she knew that, the mentors knew that and the tributes sure knew it too. Only difference is, Euphrosyne knew Reaper wouldn't kill anyone, but others did not.

As Flickerman spoke, the camera finally focused on Reaper. He had an arm wrapped around Dill, her head leaning on his shoulder. 

Dill played with her pin as she let out a sigh. "I miss Euphro."

Euphrosyne almost burst out into tears right then and there, watching the screen with furrowed eyebrows. 

I miss you too, Dill.

"I know." Reaper rubbed her back. "Me too."

"Do you think she's watching right now?" Dill's eyes wandered to one of the cameras nearby, staring directly in it.

Reaper took one glance before turning away with a scoff. "I don't know. Maybe."

His district partner waved at the camera with a slight smile. It almost made Euphro want to wave back. Almost.

The small interaction didn't last long as the camera jumped somewhere else. Somewhere a strange noise was heard from. She let out a sigh, trying not to feel dissapointed.

"And finally, in district 12, a-" The weatherman paused, doing a double take towards the big screen. 

If people weren't awake before, they sure were now. Everyone sat up a little straighter, watching the screen with curiosity. Lamina, the girl from 7, suddenly appeared on the screen. She was covered in dust and dirt as she pushed herself out of the makeshift structure.

Students paid close attention when Lamina walked up to the beam, climbing it with no trouble. Euphro could only assume her skills came from climbing trees in 7. 

Lamina dropped to her knees, right above Marcus. That's when Euphro noticed he was still alive. Barely alive, more like it. His entire body was shaking. Marcus' eyes shot open when Lamina reached out her hand, holding his head as her eyebrows furrowed in pity.