Prologue

MY NAME IS WILL MILLER. 

Maybe you already knew that. Maybe you didn't. But either way, now you know for sure. 

What I do know, however, is that you know what my life had been like before. Before everything happened. And I don't mean what happened when my sister was twelve...I mean the things, the events, that happened when she was fourteen. 

If you don't, then why are you here? Go back and figure out what happened. And if you're still willing to know what my life had been like after all that, come back...and listen. 

When my sister was twelve, she had gotten into a car accident. She had been with two of her friends that day; the Reidall twins, James and Charlotte. James had challenged her to a race across the street, and boldly, my sister had agreed. They had started running, both of them, but it had been only Charlotte who had seen the car come. She had grabbed her brother, but my sister had been too far away...

And so, the car had slammed into her and had sent her flying into a pole, where she hit her head. The head injury then sent her into a coma—I was eleven years old then. 

Two years later, when I was thirteen and my sister fourteen, she had woken up. And it was a miracle, too; because that day, the doctors had almost taken her off life support. Just seconds before they had, her eyes had opened, and lo and behold, she was awake. 

A lot of things happened after that. Things that you should already know. We fought, a bully named Jackson Crowle manipulated her, and then she died. 

She had died from brain cancer. 

The tumors had been growing in her brain for months, but no one had known, only thinking that it was the aftermaths of the coma. But in reality, it was something far worse. She had died in the hospital when she had been only fifteen years old, her last words asking me to promise to never forget her. 

I was thirteen, turning fourteen, when she had died. And now I am twenty-six years old, living a life without her. Once upon a time, I thought I couldn't do anything without her. But it was strange how time could warp things, could make things somehow fit into your future, like puzzle pieces; and those pieces would finish off the puzzle, which was your life. 

And I will admit it, it was hard. Waking up everyday to see that your sister wasn't there...it reminded me of the times when she had been in that dreadful coma. But this time, it was different. 

This time, there was no hospital. No life support. 

No. She was gone, and there was no chance she would ever come back. 

And I'll admit, it did mess me up. It made me furious at life, at the world. It made me annoyed at the people who surrounded me, who sent me pitying and sad looks every day. 

But I knew my sister would want me to persevere. And I think that was the only thing that really made me keep going. 

Don't forget..., she had said. 

And so I never forgot Rosemary Miller. 

~Lyn 

Words: 544