Chapter 3

HE DIDN'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL. 

Every step, every corner, every little thing reminded him of Rosemary. The classroom where they'd once sat together, mourning Charlotte's death, was his math classroom now. As he walked down the halls, he remembered a younger Will waving at his older sister whenever he got the chance. 

Never again, though. He would never see Rosemary walk down the halls, ever again. He would never wave at her, never speak to her. 

With regret, he remembered the last couple weeks before Rosemary had died. Kyle, his best friend, had asked if they could go say hi, and Will had refused. And now, he wished that he had said hi, and wished that he could've at least tried. 

"Hey, you! Miller!" a familiar voice sneered, and Will's shoulders became rigid. 

"Jackson," he whispered under his breath. 

He was there, behind him, a confident smirk on his face. His hair was gelled back and he stood tall in a jersey, arms crossed over his chest. 

"I heard what happened," said Jackson, raising an eyebrow. "Pity, but at least I didn't have to do anything to make Rosemary get the end she deserved." 

Rage swept through Will and he shook his head, turning around, fists clenched, not bothering to listen to the older boy anymore. 

"But I do wonder...did you make up? Or did she die feeling alone...?" 

"Shut up, Jackson," he said through gritted teeth. 

"Ooooh, did poor little baby Will Miller never get the chance to say goodbye to his sister? Aww, what are you gonna do? Cry?" 

Will could feel tears of frustration building in the corner of his eyes and he whirled around, his face rigid and set. "Stop," he said firmly. "Stop it. Rosemary is dead; why the hell are you still doing this?" 

"Did I say you could talk?" Jackson demanded. 

"You asked me a question," Will said coldly. "And I tend to answer questions." 

He saw the anger flit across Jackson's expression, and he knew that Jackson would punch him. So because he was watching, he saw Jackson's arm lift and he ducked away and into his classroom, suddenly feeling deja vu as he remembered that something like this had happened the day they'd first talked and met. 

Will let out a sigh and buried his face into his hands, willing his tears to stay down. He couldn't cry. He was done crying for things Jackson did to him.

He wished that Jackson could stop. He'd hoped he would, because he'd assumed that Rosemary was dead, and so Jackson would leave him alone. 

But that would never happen, he realized now. 

And the only thing he could do was bear the burden. 

~ Lyn 

Words: 454

SORRY I HAVEN'T UPDATED IN SO LONGGGG! 

I just saw this today and I was like, 'Huh, I haven't written in here for some time, let's do that!' so here I am! 

I hope you liked this (very short) chapter :)