Chapter 2

HER FUNERAL HAD GONE BY in a blur. It was the second funeral he had ever attended in his life; the first one being Charlotte's. 

It was so strange how time passed. It seemed like Charlotte had just died days ago, and Rosemary should've been standing beside him, tears falling from her eyes, but she wasn't there. 

He had found a pink rose amongst a banquet of flowers, remembering how they'd been his older sister's favorite. He had rested the rose on her grave, an apology, a goodbye. 

And now he sat by the graveyard on a boulder, just beyond the fence. He could see the tall graves at a distance, two of them that held people he had once loved and still loved. 

"Hey." 

He looked over his shoulder to see James wearing an ironed suit, a strangled and strange smile on his face. "Hi," said Will. 

"Can I sit here?" the older boy asked, and Will scooted over in response. 

"How are you doing it?" whimpered Will, and James glanced over at him, an eyebrow raised almost sadly. "How can you live, knowing that you never apologized?" 

"I think," James said thoughtfully, "Charlotte would've forgiven me. We were young. We were stupid. We both yearned for each other, but we were too stubborn to really apologize." He turned to face him, heaving a deep sigh. "I was talking to someone a couple months ago, some old dude I met in the graveyard. He told me it was okay to mourn, but he also said something else. 

"He said that a lot of people didn't deserve death, but they die anyway," said James. "Sometimes it's the kindest people in the world who die before, who die the earliest. He told me that I couldn't change the past, but I could decide the future." 

Will swallowed. "But what does that mean?" he whispered. 

James smiled, a slow, sad smile that took over his face. "It took me some time to realize what it meant," he continued. "But what I got from it...what happened in the past stays in the past. You can't change it. But you can learn from what you did wrong before, and decide what you do in the future."

~Lyn

Words: 372

Welp, that was a weird ending. But I think it's okay? 

How do you like this chapter? Was it inspirational? T-T