6 | this and then that and then this again

S1 E6run for your wife

S1 E6
run for your wife

"I CAN'T BELIEVE my little boy is going into the fifth grade, and Mia's in her last year." Gloria coos, packing their lunches. "Manny used to hold my finger with his little hand And look at me with those big eyes." She says to Jay, who kisses her cheek. "Oh, mis hijos pequeños, jay! (oh, my little children, Jay!)"

"Yep, they grow up." Jay replies, unbothered. "Come on, Mia, Manny, let's get going!"

"Hey, you both are coming to my taekwondo competition after school, right?" Mia asks them.

"Oh, of course, mi amor, we're going to be there." Gloria smiles, brightly and Manny walks up.

"How's my hair?" He questions, but what stood out was the poncho he was wearing.

"I don't think anyone will notice your hair if you're going to school like this." Mia tells him.

"Hold on." Jay says. "What are you wearing there? That looks like an old Christmas tree skirt."

"It's a traditional Colombian poncho." Maddy explains. "I want my new classmates to know I'm proud of my heritage."

"Sí. I think you look very handsome, lindo." Gloria tells him.

"I'm sure all the fifth grader girls are gonna agree." Mia tells them.

"Oh, really?" Jay raises an eyebrow at Gloria. "Am I driving him to school, or is he gonna ride his burro?"

JAY YELLS AND GLORIA CHEERS as Mia throws down the other girl on the mat, while Manny claps.

"That's my girl!" Jay punches his fist up.

"Oh!" Gloria jumps up. "Mi chica fuerte! (my strong girl!)"

"Yay!" Manny adds, still in his poncho. "But please don't use that move on me ever!"

Mia shakes her head with a smile at their antics.

"YOU WERE SO WONDERFUL, Mia!" Gloria laughs, as they all walk to the car park. "You went like this and then that and then this again-"

"Why she wants to say is, good job, kiddo." Jay cuts her off.

"I wanna do some extracurricular activity, too." Manny nods. "You're really good."

"Well, she's been learning since she was 7." Jay boasts. "After how the first two turned out, I was surprised the third one wanted to do something like this."

"Thanks guys." Mia smiles, then notices her phone was not in her pocket. "Oh, shoot, I left my phone in the locker room. Uh, you guys get the car, I'll meet you in the front."

"Okay." Jay nods, and Mia run off.

MIA WALKS OUT OF the school with her phone in her hand, as she crosses the walk way to the road.

"Mia! Hey!" A guy's voice calls out and she turns back to him jogging up to her.

"Oh, Asher, hey!" Mia smiles, as he stops in front of her.

"Great match in there." Asher compliments.

"Oh, you were watching?" Mia asks.

"Yeah, I was." Asher smiles. "Listen, I- uh, I was wondering if you would-"

Asher gets cut off as the next few things happen in the blink of an eye.

Hayley hits the breaks of the car she was driving, and Asher hits the floor. Mia gets pulled out of the way by Josh.

"Sorry!" Hayley yells, pulling her head out.

"Hayley!" Mia yells. "Again?!"

"Ow!" Asher lets out.

Mia and Josh look down at him, the former worried and the latter a little amused. Mia notices and hits his stomach and then helps Asher up.

"Wow." He breaths out.

"I am so sorry." Mia tells him. "Is anything broken?"

"I don't think so." Asher groans. "Funny. About to ask a girl out and get hit by a car. Funny."

"You were about to ask me out?" Mia asks, surprised.

"Yeah." Asher nods.

"Oh, I-" Mia trails off. "Well, I would love to go out with you!"

"Glad to know something good came out of me getting hit by a car." Asher jokes and Mia smiles, while Josh just looks on with a unpleasant look on his face.

"YEAH, I GOT A DATE." Mia smiles at the camera. "First guy to ask me out since freshman year." She furrows her eyebrows. "I wonder why no one really asks me on dates?" She shakes her head. "Hayley's not driving anywhere near the school for a while and Asher wasn't that hurt, so, win win, I guess."