Chapter 2

So maybe Dex was wrong to walk straight into Havenfield without mentally preparing himself.

Still, how was he supposed to know that everyone was yelling at each other, there was no order, and the amount of shouts in the living room were loud enough to make one go deaf?

"Should we wait until they're finished?" Linh asked him warily, letting go of his hand.

Dex shrugged, trying to mask his sadness at her letting him go. "I think if we went in there, we'd go deaf, but we might be able to learn about what's going on."

Linh nodded. "I'll follow you."

Little did he know that she meant it wholeheartedly.

Dex held the door to Havenfield open, being the gentleman that he is, and let Linh walk in first. She stepped inside the threshold and winced at how loud everyone was.

"EVERYONE SHUT UP!"

Everyone went dead silent as Tam, who was now standing beside Linh, smirked. "Good, now, will someone please tell us what is going on?" He asked.

Mr. Forkle stepped forward. "Yes, but please come inside and close the door before we do."

The trio walked over to one of the couches in the living room and made themselves comfortable.

"So, as you know, the Neverseen have not been active at all recently." Mr. Forkle explained. "Well, we got a report from one of our lower ranks that they set off a bomb in London at the Big Ben tower, trying to scare off the humans. There's been suspicious activity going on there lately and we think it might be a new hideout."

Sophie groaned. "You want one of us to go investigate it or something?"

Blur nodded. "We want a small team of three to go, and we wish for you to lead them."

Grady spoke up. "All she'll be doing is scouting out the area and bringing back reports of anything suspicious, right? No combat?"

Juline nodded. "That's all. As far as we know. There's no promise that a Neverseen member won't see her and attack, but there's many humans in that area that she can hide amongst."

Grady sighed and put his face in his hands as Edaline rubbed his arm in a comforting gesture.

"So, Ms. Foster, who will you choose?" Mr. Forkle asked curiously.

Sophie looked at all her friends. After contemplating for a few moments, she said: "I think I'll take Dex and Tam, since Dex is good with devices and Tam can hide us with shadows."

Now Linh suddenly became very interested in the conversation. Both Dex and Tam? Sure, she couldn't bear to lose one of them, but both? What if something went wrong and they were hurt? Or worse?

Dex glanced at her and noticed the worry etched over her face. If everyone hadn't been watching them, he would've given her a hug and told her that everything would be okay.

But he couldn't and it broke his heart.

Linh could see Dex tensing up at the idea of going on the mission. Tam seemed fine about it, as did Sophie, but Dex was extremely nervous.

"Hey, Dex, dude you alright?" Keefe asked as he went and sat beside him.

Dex shrugged. "I think so. I know we need to go on this mission, but I'm scared about what might happen.

Keefe smiled sadly. "I know, I am too. I'm not going, but my girl Foster is and I don't want her to get hurt."

Dex nodded. "I understand that." You don't understand how many times I was scared of Linh getting hurt on one of her missions.

Keefe brushed his hand against Dex's shoulder, sensing the mood change. He looked around at everyone (who had now broken up into small groups of conversation) then leaned in close to Dex. "Look," he whispered, "I understand that you're scared. But you can't let it get a hold of you. If something happens to you, know that we're all here for you." He turned to Linh and Tam. "We're here for you too. Understood?"

The three nodded, and Keefe leaned in between Dex and Linh. "Linh, no matter what happens, if anyone hurts Dizznee, we'll go get revenge, got it?"

Linh turned red and nodded. Did Keefe know about them?

The blonde Elf noticed the rapid mood change between both Dex and Linh (as he had a hand on their arms) and suddenly broke out into a grin. "Well Dexy, I never knew that you were the dating type. Gotta say Linh, you got yourself a keeper."

Both Dex and Linh blushed deeply as Keefe stood up, grinning at them. He returned to his seat next to Sophie, who started talking to him in hushed whispers.

"Alright," Mr. Forkle stood up, gathering everyone's attention. "We should go on with this scouting mission. Dex, Tam, Sophie, are you ready? Or do you need more time-"

"We're ready." Sophie said, after looking at her two friends who nodded in agreement.

"Good. Now Sophie, you'll have to teleport to London." Tiergan said. "Will that be a problem?"

Sophie shook her head. "I can do it."

Mr. Forkle smiled along with all the adults. "Well, let's not waste any time then. Off you go."