Chapter 3

Teleporting had been getting easier. Dex didn't even throw up anymore.

But the moment they landed in London, so many devices tugged at his mind. He wondered if that's what Sophie felt when near humans, their thoughts crashing into her brain.

"So, now where do we go?" Tam asked.

Sophie looked around, before spotting the Big Ben. She pointed at it. "It's roughly two miles away, but we can just walk."

Dex shrugged, then looked at Tam who said: "It doesn't matter to me."

The trio began walking to the famous clock, passing many small food booths and souvenir shops. Dex looked at one and spotted a painting of the ocean, with pristine waves and detailed water life. It somehow reminded him of Linh.

"Hey, uh, Sophie, can we maybe get something from one of the shops after we're done?" Dex asked.

Sophie glanced back at him while walking. "Sure, I don't see why not. But we'd better hurry, it's almost nightfall."

Dex shivered at the word nightfall then quickened his stride to walk next to Sophie. Tam followed right behind them, an aura of shadows and darkness in his wake.

"Hey Tam, you might wanna tone down on the shadows." Dex said quietly. "You don't wanna attract any more attention."

Tam glanced at the area they were walking through and noticed how some people stared at them or talked in hushed whispers while glancing at Tam. "Oh, sorry, I didn't notice. Here." After a second, the shadows slowly started to fade.

Dex smiled slightly and nodded.

"Ooookay, guys, well let's go investigate... whatever it is we gotta look for." Sophie said, staring at the Big Ben which now towered in front of them.

The clock tower looked as regal as ever, with its large hands pointing out the time in a regal way.

"So, where should we start first?" Tam asked.

"I think... over there!" Sophie glances in the direction of the south side of the tower, where the plant life seemed to die even more. "I mean, if someone was experimenting with something, like toxic chemicals or whatever, doesn't that seem like the spot they're working?"

Dex had to admit, Sophie did make a good point. "But maybe we should start with the area they set the bomb off."

Tam nodded. "I agree."

"Well we'll have to ask some locals for that information, because I have no idea where it exploded." Sophie went up to one random bystander and asked in English: "Do you know where the bomb went off here the other day?"

The bystander nodded his head. "I'm sure it was over there. Stupid terrorists, trying to tear down a historical building. This represents Britain's history itself!"

Sophie looked to where the man was pointing, and sure enough, right where the plant life was dying was where the bomb had gone off. "Thank you sir." She said politely.

The man smiled and nodded before walking off.

Dex watched the man walk away. "Well, he was nice."

Sophie nodded. "Now let's go investigate and see what our friends have been hiding."

/////

"Ugh, it smells like smoke." Dex complained, pinching his nose.

Tam nodded in agreement, though the smell didn't seem to bother him as much.

"Well well well, what do we have here?" Sophie lifted some long, loose weeds to reveal a small wooden trapdoor.

"I wonder if there's another hideout..." Dex thought aloud.

"Maybe. We should go in." Sophie said, reaching for the trapdoor handle.

"Woah, don't you think we should maybe tell the Collective?" Dex said quickly, not wanting to rush into a trap. When it came to Neverseen fortresses, you never knew what you were walking into.

"Well, we're already here, I think we should go." Sophie said. "Plus I don't want to have to wait for the 'okay' to go in. And, what if we find something important in there? Or maybe there's some dangerous weapons that they're hiding! We could tell the Collective and they could come catch them later."

She did make a good point.

"I think we should." Tam said abruptly.

Sophie nodded, then turned to Dex. "And you?"

Dex sighed. "Fine."

Sophie grinned then opened the trapdoor. It was pure darkness, but there was a visible ladder running down.

"Well, let's get on with it." Sophie swung down into the hole, grabbing the rungs of the ladder. Tam, oddly enough, looked pleased that it was dark. Well he's a Shade so that's probably why, Dex thought.

Tam went down after Sophie, slightly smiling as he climbed. Dex followed, making sure to look around before climbing down into the darkness.