Chapter 9

Linh wouldn't have guessed that the team going to search for Forkle would consist of the current, healthy members of Team Valiant.

So, just Biana, Stina, and Wylie.

Linh didn't mind, though. She trusted that Wylie and Biana would do their best to retrieve Forkle. She didn't know Stina too well, but from what she had seen, the girl was a snobby, uptight brat.

Linh tried her best to avoid the Heks girl.

"So, are you three ready for the mission?" Oralie asked once everyone had met up at Everglen.

Biana nodded happily, Stina rolled her eyes, and Wylie sighed.

Quite the variety of responses.

"Remember, you three must work together." Emery said sternly. He turned to Biana. "I am putting you as head member, alright?"

Biana nodded.

Stina huffed. "Why does she get to be leader?"

"Because she has proven herself responsible and trustworthy. Now you would do well to not complain." Bronte growled.

Stina blinked then rolled her eyes. "Fine."

Linh tried to hide her laugh at Stina's response.

"So, all they're doing is going out to find Mr. Forkle... don't you think it would be better to have more than three people on the team?" Grady asked.

Emery sighed. "Mr. Reuwen-"

"That isn't a bad idea." Oralie pointed out. Bronte nodded in agreement.

Emery put his fingers on his temples, mediating the debate between the councillors. After a few moments, he let his hands down. "The majority vote thinks that the team should be bigger."

Linh raised her hand. "I'll go."

"So will I." Grady added.

Emery nodded. "Alright, it's settled. You five will go and find Mr. Forkle. Any other questions?"

The room remained silent, so Emery dismissed everyone. "For those leaving on the team, come back here once you've found Mr. Forkle. I'll have Elwin on standby."

"But what about Sophie, Dex, and Tam?" Linh asked. "Elwin can't leave them."

Emery shook his head. "Alright... once you've found Mr. Forkle, leap to the Healing Center. We'll be waiting there."

Grady nodded, then held up a blue crystal, leading to London.

The group had decided to begin their search at the Big Ben Tower, starting at the trapdoor to the Neverseen fortress. Grady ordered everyone to be on high guard since they were nearing a dangerous area.

Linh couldn't shake the feeling that she was being watched, but anytime she looked around, there was no one there.

"Alright, so before we go in," Grady started, motioning at the trapdoor. "If anything happens, I want you all to get out as fast as you can, alright?"

"We aren't going to leave you behind though!" Biana said.

Grady shook his head. "I can take care of myself."

Biana huffed but remained silent.

Wylie ambled over next to Grady and put his hand on the trapdoor handle. "Are we ready to enter?"

Grady looked at everyone, then nodded.

And so they began their descent into darkness.