Eight

Dear mom

I got your letter.  Would it be weird to tell you it made me emotional? It smelled like the perfume that you always wear and sometimes I'd go into your room and steal (sorry)
Camps doing a good job at keeping me busy. They have us doing work on our characters and team building activities. Im making friends here. They even gave me a mentor. They call em squid, ain't that funny?
I was surprised when they told me I had mail and it was from you. I figured you didn't even wanna talk to me after I got sent to camp. But I'm glad your sent me a letter. It means the world to me.
Anyway, give franny some extra turkey and a belly rub for me.

Love, Josephine.

Shark set her pen down and re read her letter, making sure it was prefect before she sealed it in an envelope.

As she was writing the address, someone walked into the tent. She looked up to see who it was. "Hey squid." She smiled.

"Hey shark you coming to dinner? There serving lime jello." She told her, he knew that was her favorite.

She did a little gasp of excitement for the lime jello. "Yeah, let me just finish addressing this letter and I'll meet you there." She said, continuing to address the letter.

"Who you writting to?" He asked, plopping down on her cot next to her and looking over her shoulder to see what she was doing.

"My mom. She wrote me about a week ago and I'm just now getting to write her back." She told him.

Squid frowned. "Must be nice to have a mom that writes you." He signed.

Shark knew a little about squids home life. She knew his parents were neglectful and his mom was a drunk. "Sorry squid." She apologized to him. "I know this probably won't make you feel better but, my bio dads probably never gonna write me, or talk to me ever again for that matter." She told him .

Shark and her dad hadn't spoken to her in 6 months. He had some new family now that he was more interested in then the one he already had.

"Can I see the letter?" Squid asked her.

Shark wasn't expecting that. But she got out the letter and handed it to him. "Sure." She told him.

Squid started reading the letter intently. She just waited until he was done, she was sure he'd have some snarky commentary after reading it.

Once he was done he looked at shark. "Who's franny?" She asked her.

"Frannys my cat." She answered. She wasn't expecting him to ask about the cat, but she was more than happy to talk about her furry friend. "I always like to give her sliced deli turkey as a snack. So it's nice to know she's still getting that." She smiled at the image of franny purring after having a belly full of yummy turkey, then rolling over and demanding a belly rub. "I miss her."

"I've never had a pet." Squid told her. "But don't tell magnet about this cat, he might steal it." He joked before getting up, causing her to giggle. "Come on let's get you some lime jello." He said giving her back the letter and standing up.

She put her writing supplies away and followed him. "Think we'll ever get strawberry jello?" She asked, hopefully.

"I wouldn't count on it shark."

Sorry this chapter is a bit short but I promise I have some good stuff coming!