Thirty-two

The next day, as the d tent crew walked back from digging there holes, they didn't see the yellow school bus that they were expecting to see, but a black car driving into camp.

"Maybe they're coming for caveman's body." zigzag suggested as they walked back to camp.

"Or maybe someone found caveman and zero and there bringing them back.." she said, trying to make a more positive suggestion.

"Jaguar. That's a nice car." Twitch examined.

"Don't even think about it twitch." Armpit quickly said.

"Maybe if we let him drive that car he can go find caveman and zero. As long as he doesn't dive it in to any holes." Shark joked at twitch, punching him in the shoulder then walking over to zigzag.

-

The day went by and there was still no sign of zero and Stanley returning. Shark tried to hide her worry for the two boys, but she just kept having this sinking feeling, like how she felt when Barf bag left.

Shark was collecting her things to go shower, considering all the boys had taken their showers she figured it was better now than later to get her shower out of the way.

She was about to tell squid that it was time to stand guard, but she had another thought. She headed over to zigzags cot.

"Hey zig, would you mind standing guard tonight?" She asked him.

He looked at at her, slightly confused. "Don't you always ask squid to do it?" He asked.

"Well, yeah but I figured maybe he needed a break you know?" She told him. "If you don't wanna do it it's fine-" she started to tell him, but he cut her off.

"No, no it's fine, I'll stand guard."  He said, getting his boots on quickly.

Shark smiled. "Okay..thanks zig." She thanked him.

"No problem sharky." She said ruffling her hair and headed to the shower with her.

He sat exactly where squid would sit, and faced away from her as she took her shower.

"So, what do you and squid talk about well you're out here?" He asked her.

"Lots of stuff, hard to pin point one thing exactly." She told him. Of course she'd never tell him what they actually talked about. She would never betray squids trust like that.

"You guys stay out here a while, I'm surprised Mr sir doesn't come and yell at y'all for not being in the tent."

Shark chuckled. "He's usually too busy trying to shoot yellow spotted lizards.

For a moment it was silence, but it was the comfortable silence that she was always used to with zigzag. But after a minute it was broken.

"So what do you wanna do when you get out of here?" He asked her out of no where.

"Haven't we talked about this? Cheese burger and Franny smooch." She reminded him.

"Yeah but like, what do you wanna do like, long term ya know?" He asked her.

"Well.." shark began. "I guess I'll finish high school." She told him, but then a thought came to her. "Oh god.."

"What? What's the matter?" He asked, almost turning around but then remembering she was still showering.

"I'm gonna miss my senior year.." she realized.

"I'm sorry shark.." he apologized to her. "If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably missing most of my high school years. Heck all of us are." He told her, trying to make her feel better.

"I know..but I just always looked forward to senior year..you know? Getting to walk the stage at graduation with all my friends, but when they walk next year I'm not gonna be there." She said.

"Shark you know, even if you don't get to walk at graduation, it doesn't take away all the things you've accomplished." He told her.

"It doesn't?" She asked.

"Hell yeah, I mean you're like the smartest person here. Even smarter than mom." He told her.

"Thanks zig.." she said, turning off the shower, waiting for her towel, but then she remembered that zigzag didn't know that was the signal for 'towel' "hey zig? Can you hand me my towel and clothes please?" She asked him.

"Oh yeah, sorry." He then handed her the items she asked for.

She dried off and got dressed, then dried off her hair best she could. Then took a seat on the steps of the shower, zigzag following in her lead.

"So, i don't think I've ever asked you what you wanna do after camp green lake." She pointed out. "So spill."

"Not sure what's next for me after camp. Probably just go home, try and figure out what I'm gonna do with the rest of my life." He told her, he didn't really seem to have a solid plan.

Shark just nodded, until she spoke again. "You really think we're all gonna be friends after camp?" She asked.

Something about the way shark said 'friends' just kinda stung zigzag. In his brain, he didn't wanna be just friends with shark.

"I think so, I mean I can't imagine we wouldn't be." he said.

"Yeah..me too.." shark said, leaning her head on zigzags shoulder.

In that moment, zigzagging wanted to do nothing more than kiss her. Finally be able to tell her how much she meant to him, how that when every time he saw her he felt like there was nothing else in the world but her.

But he didn't, he didn't wanna kiss her and then find out she didn't feel the same way about him, and then have to see her everyday for how ever long they were both sentenced.

So he just sat there with her, letting her rest on his shoulder till it was time to go back in.

YALL AREN'T READY FOR THE NEXT CHAPTER