Cruel Summer

We had enough time to load all of our bags into the bus by the time we were called back for the trophy lift. I make my way towards the stage, Kim Little accepts the trophy scooping it up letting it drop in anticipation, moves towards us and lifts it as high as she could. We are all jumping now, fireworks and confetti are set off and the pitch is covered in red. Leah turns to me,
"All of Europe know that we are the best Ro." I nod my head but the buzz in my bones makes me more alert.
"Oh baby we were always the best," she laughs and shakes her head.
Katie claps me on the back,
"You glad you stayed with us then?" I playfully screw up my face.
"Looks like yous were glad I stayed." The group laugh and split off to dance and talk with fans. I walk towards some of the family supporters.
"RoRo!" an excited Harper Gorry announced making grabby hands at me. I look at her mum Mini and ask if it's okay.
"She doesn't listen to me so I say do what you want." I nod and pick little Harper up and keep her in my arms.
"Did you see my goal?" Harper shakes her head furiously.
"It was so cool," her baby voice exclaims. I throw her up and down catching her safely in my arms each time. I stop to catch my breath the giggles of little Harper Gorry keep a smile on my face.
"Do yous wanna come onto the pitch?" I address this question to the Aussies and they nod their heads in answer. Mini, Macca, Lani, Charlie and Steph Catley's fiancee all hop over the barracade and make their way to their respective loved ones. I keep Harps in my arms and Mini follows me to Kyra.
"Kywa!" Harper makes grabby hands at Kyra and as much as I want to keep the little one in my arms I have no choice but to let her go.
"Harper I have a very important question for you." Harper turns to me and her face is really excited.
"Do you want a picture with the trophy, kid?" She nods her head, jumps out of Kyra's arms and grabs my hand to run towards the trophy.
Mini trails behind to keep a watchful eye on her daughter. Less and Leah are both standing beside the trophy immersed in conversation.
"Outta the way my favorite is here." I pretend to shove Leah and Less away from the trophy and they both give me a look as if to say what the fuck. I laugh at the look they are giving me and Harper just keeps going to the trophy. I lift her into the trophy and she giggles, I stand behind her and beckon Mini into the photo too. A camera man with a Polaroid camera comes up to us and asks if we want a printed out photo of the moment. We both agree and I hand the photo to Mini, she slips it into her coat pocket and we are both laughing and joking around. Just as we were about to exit the stadium to the team and family bus, I hear shouting from the crowd.
This type of shouting was different, they were terrified and that was when I seen it. What looked like a human bit right threw the arm of a little kid. I grab Harper and put her in the arms of Mini.
"Somethings going on I dont have time to explain it right now but you need to get onto that team bus. If anyone approaches you, run as fast as you can." Mini nods and sprints for the tunnel. I look around me and see chaos ensue these monsters are leaking past the barricade and their looks to be thousands of them. I grab Less but can't seem to find Leah. We are running passed people who are being tore apart by these things but we couldn't help them. We said nothing until we got on the bus. I counted who was there, looks like we lost a few.
"Shit, shit, shit." I start to panic and run my hands through my hair. You can hear the distant screaming of those still trapped inside. I look around trying to find Leah.
"Where's Leah?" No answer.
"Where the fuck is she?" I exclaim at this point I'm pacing the aisle of the bus.
"Does anyone know where she is?" Alexia and Mapi both stand up shakily.
"Last I saw she headed for the shower rooms."
"Okay, listen up everyone." The bus driver turns around too and I whisper the way to the safe post to him.
"Right, Tim, the bus driver is driving you to a safe place and when you get there listen to what they say." Katie pushes her way towards me.
"How can you be so sure they won't kill us on site?" I look at the floor.
"When you get there ask for John Price or Simon Riley and tell them my name they won't kill anyone if I sent you." Katie nods and takes her seat again. I go to the overhead compartments and grab my car keys out of the bag and slip them into my coat. Less panics and starts to drag me away from the door desperately.
"You aren't seriously going back out there?" I give Alessia a dangerous look.
"Someone has to save Leah and no one else is volunteering." I look around to see any objections but everyone stayed silent.
"Ror you saw what those things were doing, you can't go back in." Less is pleading with me now but I shake her grip off my arm, slide my pocket knife out of my shinguard and flick it open.
"Just another reason to go back in then." I make my decision, nod at the driver and open the doors. As soon as I step off the bus the doors close and the bus is driving away.