Davy Jones x female!reader (soulmate au) Part 2

(Y/n) pov:

Life on the dutchman was getting off to a great start. Can you sense the sarcasm?

I'm cold, tired, narrowly avoiding being constantly drenched by the leaky ceiling, and the food is terrible. I've been here three days and I want to die.

I haven't seen the infamous Davy Jones since my unwelcome boarding of The Dutchman. Sure, I'd seen his shadow on the wall a few times, I don't think he realised I could see him, and I'd heard his footsteps late at night when I was trying to sleep; but he hasn't actually come to talk to me again after the whole soulmate revelation.

Meals are delivered twice a day. A small cup of gruel in the morning and another cup of gruel in the evening. Everything tastes and smells of fish. I'm sick of salt. I'm sick of fish. What would I give for an apple or anything really; that wasn't pulled from the briny blue.

However, there is one ray of light in this perpetual darkness. A hole in the brig wall. I've been keeping an eye out outside.

The second I see land; I'm going to make a break for it.

I've tested the hinges on the cell door, and they were as easy to remove as I expected. Just use a stray board anchored against a bucket and lift and voila.

Right now, the ship was gently rocking as soft rays of sunlight drifted through the hole. Lighting up the cell and filtering through a few remaining shards of glass in the window, casting the coral encrusted walls in vibrant hues pinks and blues and greens. If not for the constant rumble of booted feet above, it's almost peaceful.

The opposite of yesterday's violent ride. I'd been thrown around the cell as the ship bounced and dipped in the waves. I had several bruises from where I'd hit the floor and the bars until I'd been flung back and become trapped on the bench during the storm, by hooks made of coral that twisted and looped around me, like the ship was alive.

Well, moving on. New day, new opportunity.

Warm beams of sunlight stream through the hole in the hull.

I skip over and look outside. The warming rays feel like a blessed balm on my skin, chasing away the bone chilling cold.

Land!

There on the horizon. A dark strip of green and yellow.

A beach? An island? A town? Whatever it is, we are getting closer.

Lady luck must be smiling upon me today. I can hear the shouting of the crew above. My breakfast was delivered about 2 hours ago, so I have a few hours to make my escape without being seen.

First, a disguise. I move to the bench and started kicking the coral. Adding a few more pieces to the pile I had been gathering for days under the bench.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

I froze, listening for approaching footsteps. The sounds had come no closer than what I assumed was the end of the corridor. Hearing no more steps, and no tell-tale breathing, I set to work. Ruffling my hair out, I pick up a few pieces of coral and begin to entwine them in half of my hair.

'Uh this will be a pain to remove later.'

Picking up some more coral I hook it in the laces of my boots, snag it onto my clothing and around my belt.

Looking down, I give a wiggle...The coral swayed but didn't fall off.

'Alright, disguise is in place...Now I just need to not die.'

Gripping the vertical bars of the door, I squat low and brace before straightening out my legs. The door lifts and I fall back slightly before lowering it quickly. The clang as it hits the floor is muffled by the crew above. At least I hope it is.