Davy Jones x female!reader (soulmate au)

The Red Bounty sailed peacefully through the Caribbean Sea. The crewman working diligently to deliver their cargo.

Among their number was a woman in her late twenties. Her name was (y/n).

Her (h/c) hair cut short and her male garments had been used to deflect attention from her gender and onto her skills. She was a trained blacksmith, with an extensive knowledge of building and engineering. She wasn't a sailor. Some had once called her a witch.

Her presence on the ship was bought through hard work and gold. Passage to Port Royal. A chance to start anew.

She leaned against the foredeck's railing. (E/c) eyes intently studying the sea. Smiling as she spotted a family of dolphins playing nearby.

She leaned forward more, the cloth on her arm hitching up slightly to reveal the calligraphy decorating her wrist. She glanced at it as she moved to cover the words once more. She'd never held out much hope of finding her soulmate. According to her, her soulmark was different and she was always wary of different; different made you stand out and where she came from, that was a bad thing. That was why this lone woman had braved the sea to journey to Port Royal. No-one would know her, it was a second chance. She covered the mark and returned to watching the sea.

Whispers surrounded her.

"...It's no good..."

"...Woman on a ship..."

"...Bad luck it is..."

She ignored them and continued her silent vigil. Until she saw it. Her eyes narrowed. In the distance, shadows grew on the horizon. A storm was brewing; tearing purple gashes in the sky as it grew along the horizon.

"Captain...storm on the horizon!"

The call from the crow's nest mimicked her thoughts. A sailor turned to the only female on board.

"you'd best be belowdecks miss...ain't no place fer a woman up top when a storm hits."

She thanked him. Just as she turned to head below, another crewmember approached.

"If ye wouldn't mind, one o'tha cannons has a crack init...would ya...?"

She cut him off.

"Don't worry, I'll fix it."

And with that she headed below.

.

.

.

On deck another more urgent cry sounded. "Captain! Pirates!!"

------------------------------Time skip-------------------------

The wind howled through the carcass of the ship. The merchant brig had put up a valiant fight against the might of the sea; but lost to the claws of an unseen reef. The crew once exceeding a hundred strong, now numbered only twenty five.

(Y/n) lay unconscious in the splintered hold. Water lapping around her feet as her prone form was saved from the water below by an errant beam. A bloodied gash on her left arm matched the blood staining her hair. She was unconscious yes, yet she lived; her steady breaths testament to the fact. One hand unconsciously grasping for the tools that lay scattered just out of reach.

The other survivors were scattered both above and below deck. Those awake and able to move, had begun to make their way to the main deck. Finding solace in company and the task of naming the living. Worse for them. They were awake to see a sight all sailors dread.