Prologue

I only remembered what my father looked like from the last day he left for work. He had a meeting in New York City and had to drive there early. Lucky for him, we only lived a couple hours away from the city. He wore his favourite light blue linen shirt and black trousers. He left in a hurry, dashing out the front door and barely had time to say goodbye, but knowing my dad, he never left without a kiss on the forehead and a “Goodbye Hun, love you.” I laid my milky bowl into the empty sink and got ready for school.

On my walk to the jail I call school; I had an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I usually took the main street, which takes half an hour, but I took a short cut since I was running late. The short cut was a dark street surrounded by tall green trees and small bushes. It felt as though I was in a horror movie. I just needed to wait for the chainsaw massacre to come out from behind a bush and cut me into little pieces. Feeling frightened, I power walked down the road, until I saw a motionless body near a ditch.

    At first I thought my mind was playing tricks on me, but when I stepped closer I definitely knew it was a body. While quickly speed dialling my mother, I sprinted to the corpse. My stomach dropped and loud sobs escaped my mouth. My mother kept yelling through the phone to get my attention, but I just dropped to my knees and cried. My mother must’ve called the police because loud sirens filled my ears. It shocked me knowing that the muddy corpse lying in the lonely street was my father. Slowly, I faded away. My vision clouded and the chaos stopped. The birds stopped singing and the trees stopped shaking. The world was silenced.