3: Care Package (remember when i said i cared about you?)

The wind was harsh and biting, propelling flurries of snowflakes across the waiting battlefield. The blinding white landscape was a danger for any being stupid enough to trek through it. But from within the hastily made shelter, Yukari could hardly hear the sound of the howling storm over the sounds of laughter from her and Erwin.

Sheltered within a tunnel in the snow, Yukari and Erwin were cosy and content, waiting out the weather on a blanket of newspapers, drinking hot cocoa, and swapping dialogue like they were in a dramatic war movie. Although Yukari had to admit this reconnaissance mission mid-battle was insanely cool, this espionage didn't feel as uneasy as she and Erwin were pretending it was. Sure, they were in a tight spot against Pravda, and they had found out their school's continued existence hinged on them winning the Sensha-dou Tournament, and the unforgiving winter would probably turn them to popsicles at a moments notice if they weren't careful— and yet, Yukari didn't feel things were scary or bleak, not when she was here with Erwin.

It was all still heart-pounding, but maybe that had more to do with the bright unrestrained sound of Erwin's laughter, head thrown back and smile illuminated by the warm light of the lantern.

Yukari's own laughter trailed off. She really did love her.

"Guderian? You look lost." Erwin asked with a tilt of her head. Yukari blinked, feeling heat rush to her face realising she had been staring at Erwin. Although, maybe a warm blush might be helpful in preventing frostbite, she reasoned internally.

"Sorry, don't worry we're not lost! I know exactly where we are; we're straight on our mark like Simo Häyhä!" Yukari laughed awkwardly, ruffling her hair.

"I never thought we were lost, not with you guiding us." Erwin's eyes twinkled, and Yukari's heart squeezed. Because of course, Erwin could always say something so incredibly sweet like that to make everything okay.

"Really? Aw, Erwin..." She looked away, smiling.

Erwin looked her over, a slight furrow in her brow and a rosiness to her cheeks. "Is... Is something on your mind, Guderian?"

When wasn't Erwin on her mind? Everytime she would say her name, the special soul name that she had given her in the first place, Yukari's heart felt consumed by the power of a Flammpanzer. Everytime she smiled Yukari was filled with writhing tank treads. Each moment she spent with this incredible, kind, strong, beautiful girl Yukari felt like she could take a shot from a Karl-Gerät point-blank and go on to live a hundred thousand days by her side.

"I'm just really happy you're here with me. Well, I'm happy whenever you're with me, and I'm with you. You make me as happy as sensha-dou does, honestly," Yukari laughed again, softer this time. A part of her vaguely realised she was starting to ramble about some things she should definitely not be rambling about at this time. Didn't she promise herself she would only confess to Erwin after the match was won?

She wasn't prepared! She was prepared for almost everything else, had her shovel and hot cocoa and everything to survive the snowscape, but she could have at least had the foresight to put her love letter (written and rewritten every other week since she realised her love for Erwin) in her pocket just for the not-so-off chance her feelings started spilling out of her in an incomprehensible way. But she had kept the letter at home because she needed her confession to coincide with Ooarai's sensha-dou victory! Because tankery luck! Or something! Yukari wasn't nervous or anything!!

Words kept rushing out, despite Yukari's inner turmoil. "You're so amazing, and I feel so lucky that I was able to get to know you. And I want to know you more, want to be something special to you like you are to me." But with the way Erwin was looking at her, maybe... Yukari blushed.

"Sorry, it's just you make me feel— just— so many things, and um..." She stared at her container of cocoa. She was losing her nerve, this was a bad idea, she was going to reject her. "I've been thinking about us together, in a sort of r-romantic sort of way, and well, if you would— um, maybe— the thing is I— uh—"

She was going to reject her, and she was going to lose her crush and her best friend all in one horrible massive slip up. That thought filled her insides with ice. Now that the moment was here, Yukari couldn't bear the idea of losing Erwin like that, not after everything.

"Guderian." Yukari felt a grounding hand on her shoulder. "I care about you, too."

Yukari looked up at Erwin, her eyes so sweet and warm.

Ah.

She was trying to let her down easy.

Yukari swallowed, and smiled. She thought she would have to force it, but she found she didn't need to. Erwin was amazing. She was once again glad that she fell for someone as kind as her, who could reject Yukari in such a nice and considerate way. Yukari had prepared for this outcome, of course, so she wouldn't let it sting.

What was Yukari actually thinking, really, indulging the insane notion that she and Erwin could actually be girlfriends! That Erwin actually liked her back!

But if Erwin still wanted to be her friend, that would be enough for Yukari, no matter what that funny twisting feeling in her heart was telling her. After all, Erwin said she cared for her.

Things soon began feeling a little heavy in the shelter, the lamp a little too bright and air a little too warm. Erwin's hand was still on her shoulder, and— was she closer? Yukari's nerves felt flayed after that emotional fusillade, and this proximity—!

"Thank you! I care about you too!" Did she seriously just say thank you?! Maybe Mako would agree to run her over with the Panzer IV after all this. "Uh, we should probably leave now, I think the storm has calmed down!"

Yukari promptly ran out and ragdolled down the hill into the snow. On purpose, of course.

⚉⋆⚉⋆⚉⋆⚉

Hope you're liking the story! I've always wanted to try Yukari's chili flake trick from the OVA, but I don't think I have a reason to if my boots keep me warm enough. Anyway, last chapter next!!

Word Count: 1,034