Calm before the storm

"Only Adella ever knew Aemon the man, not the perfect prince or the peerless warrior we all knew. Only she knew the human that he was flaws and all" - Prince Aegon Targaryen.

111AC

The sky was drowned in amber light as the sun was swallowed into the horizon. The light was fading, and the city noise was lessening the people were drawing into their homes to rest. The flea bottom was still alive. The noise and moans drowned the streets. The putrid stench of moral decay was flooding the mind of every right-minded man.

Flesh sold like bread where the women were bad and the men were worse, a stain on the city of the king but also the place where the prince plays.

Looking over it all was a young man sitting on his balcony of the Redkeep watching the city sway. He had a mischievous look on his face

Aemon pov

Looking over at the city, I couldn't help but smirk at the chaos I was about to let loose. This was going to be my crème de la crème, my masterpiece of all the things I had done so far.

I look to my left, seeing Aegon, three name days old, messing about with his wooden horse toy and playing at Adella's feet as she read to Helaena, who was sitting on her lap, enjoying herself.

Knock knock

"Come in," I answered. Emilia entered the room with her usual stoic look plastered on her face.

"Prince Aemon Queen Alicent wishes for Prince Aegon  and Princess Helaena to be brought to her." She speaks in a neutral, flat tone with no hint of emotion.

"I see. Take them to my mother then." I spoke in an equally detached voice as she picked up Helaena from Adella's lap and carried Aegon out of my chamber, leaving me and Adella alone in my chamber.

"So, what are you planning?" I heard Adella speak, her voice filled with intrigue and anticipation.

"Why do you think I'm planning something?" I said, acting aloof.

"Don't play coy Aemon. I saw the way you were looking at Daemon when he put that twig crown at Viserye's feet. It was a lion looking at a deer, and to answer your question, you're too silent, which means you're up to something because otherwise you never shut up around me or your siblings," she said in a matter-of-fact way.

"I see, maybe I have become too predictable either way. I'm not the only one you should have focused on. The way Daemon was looking at Rheanyra was frankly revolting," I said, my voice bitter.

"I see, so you believe he's making his move on her to grasp power. Surely he wouldn't be stupid enough; she'd be ruined for any man, and he'd lose his head if the king found out." Adella said in an uncertain tone

"My dear Adella you underestimate that man's ability to stick his head into the sand and pretend nothing is wrong; he's made Rheanyra his heir, and he's done nothing to consolidate her position. He's made the mistake of sending that idiot around the realm to find suitors whom she insulted and ignored whilst stepping on lots of egos, and he's still done nothing to get her an alliance; he wouldn't kill Daemon," I said in a disappointed voice.