Chapter 2: Hidden

Season 4, Episode 14

Gloria sits at her desk, researching as many people involved with the explosion as she can as Erin starts the briefing, "All right, the tenant is Dan Llewellyn, 35. He's a contractor. Now, we didn't find a cell phone anywhere on the body or on the property. All calls to Llewellyn's cell have gone unanswered, and we can't get a signal location. We've reached out to his family."

"Body's at the ME's office right now. They're trying to track for dental and DNA. Preliminary report says..." Jay accepts the report that Gloria hands him, "We got a male, 6'2, maybe 6'3. That matches Llewellyn's height."

"All right. And that other victim? Was he from that LGBT home?" Voight asks.

"Yeah, he's at Med. I'm trying to get an ID, but the home's director says all their kids are accounted for," Kim tells him.

Voight nods, "All right, Atwater, you and Rixton head over to Med. I want you there when he's ready to talk. And have his clothes sent to the lab. Have them checked for accelerant. He may be our firebug. If CFD says we're not looking at a trained arsonist," Gloria's phone rings as Voight keeps talking, "All right, the rest of you-fire's an easy way to execute a homicide or cover one up. Let's figure out which and why we got two bodies at the same place at the same time."

Al asks Gloria, "What do we got on the home's owner?"

 As Gloria's on the phone, she hands her findings to Jay, "Fred Teague. He's got six properties on the south side, and he's been dancing on and off with the city's Troubled Building Unit for the last few years."

Hanging up, Gloria looks to Al, "And, he's downstairs."

✯✯✯✯

Gloria looks up as Erin leans down next to her, "Have you heard anything about Rixton's old unit and indictment's coming down?"

"Nah. Any contacts from my previous life isn't sharing anything with a thing this fresh. They know that if they speak anything out loud, they can get called in," Gloria tells her, "What's going on?"

"Jay and I got a tip from a guy he trusts that tells us to watch our back with him. You watch yours, okay?"

She nods, handing over some information, "Here's what I've got about the LGBT home. Places like that are used to threats and violence against them. Reynolds is a good place, but people don't look past the LGBT of it all."

✯✯✯✯

Gloria hangs up her phone, looking to Voight, "ME says no dental work or recent surgeries on your victim."

Kim adds, "Canvass says it may have happened too early for witnesses. No neighbors saw or heard anything until the explosion."

Jay leans back in his chair, "Hey, Sarge, um, we gotta ask you about Rixton."

"What about him?"

"We heard that indictments were being handed down in his old unit."

Voight shrugs, shaking his head, "What does that have to do with you?"

Jay looks to the team before saying, "I want to know who's got my back."

"Jeez. I imagine Kenny'd like to know who has his as well," Voight challenges. 

"You'd think that impending indictments would be something that you might, you know, offer up to us," Jay doesn't back down from his questioning, "I know I would."

"So you question a guy that I brought in and vouched for instead of working a case that killed two people?" 

Jay nods, "I can do both at the same time. Trust me."