I - Curiosity Over Ravens

A warm and windy morning on a weekend, the Lewis Capital had been bustling and alive with people–stalls, shops, and houses were opened; a mix of carriages and cars passing by

A warm and windy morning on a weekend, the Lewis Capital had been bustling and alive with people–stalls, shops, and houses were opened; a mix of carriages and cars passing by. It had been the largest town so far and modernized but it never left its founding roots and didn't go overboard with being taken over by technology.

Far outside the Capital was a humble cottage home contentedly built in the woods with a fancy fence surrounding it and would have cute little animals as its constant visitors. By the entrance to the woods up on a tree more towering than the others was a girl, she sat on a thick branch and her emerald green eyes were inquisitive as they stared ahead–at the overpeeking sight of a castle near the mountains. Only it wasn't just a castle, it was also a school.

The door to the cottage was pulled open, stepping out was a kind-looking woman with turquoise hair and dark brown eyes. Her simple garb was white and had the red heart symbol stamped on it without being overdecorated. All of her outfits and her husband's were in the same design and pattern. White with red hearts.

She walked out, careful not to step or hit any white rabbits munching on carrots in the way. "Alice, darling, where are–oh of course, surely she is there again" The woman muttered and went to the tree, looking up. "Alice, we're going to the market, love"

Her real name wasn't Alice, it was Mary–Mary Clemence. Since little, Alice had been the nickname given her and she never really bothered asking.

"Mom, why can't I attend the same school as Lancelot or Jonah? I missed them..." Mary's question was subtly laced with sadness.

It made Mrs. Clemence jerk her head back, eyes widening and quickly she collected herself. "Because they went to a different school and both of them have important roles to fill in the future"

'Lancelot' and 'Jonah' used to be around Mary when she was little but they left without giving her any concrete answers years ago, even Lancelot whom Mary was closely attached to became cold and distant before the departure.

The tree branch shook slightly and some leaves fell as Mary carefully climbed down. "Maybe if I also study at a magic school, I can go and visit them?"

"If you can conjure magic, Alice but we tried remember?" Mrs. Clemence patted her head and fixed the girl's disheveled hair. "But don't feel disheartened, even if you don't have magic like Jonah and Lance, you are fine the way you are. Come on, let me braid your hair first and we'll go to the Capital"

Going to Lewis Capital was exciting and thrilling for Mary, she got to see boutique shops selling various accessories and dresses which made her heart flutter in the air. Her parents bought her a couple of jewelry sets and a new set of dresses previously. Although there were beautiful perfume bottles Mrs. Clemence made homemade fragrances for her daughter which the latter loves. But it wasn't always a sunny day for Mary when going here, seeing people and kids her age doing magic and casting spells or making peculiar concoctions make her feel insecure.

"Stand here and don't go anywhere, I will buy some meat for dinner later" Mrs. Clemence instructed the young redhead to stay near the pavement of the poultry shop she stepped into.

Mary nodded, holding onto the recyclable bag filled with other grocery items, and stood there patiently without getting in anyone's way. A couple of boys passed by talking to themselves happily while carrying uniforms in plastic–the symbols on their clothes were Night Raven College's.

At the magic school in the mountains, Mom said I couldn't be there because it's only exclusive for boys and anyone with magic. Students who can enroll there are chosen by the Headmaster. She knew in general what Night Raven College was about, it drew her more with a flickering hope that if she learned magic from there she would be allowed to see Lancelot and Jonah again.

An exhale of dejection and Mary's shoulders fell, "I should forget about it, no way I will get any chance in Night Raven College..." Her life would be predetermined and she hated that it wouldn't be shared with Lancelot and Jonah.

After going to the market, Mrs. Clemence and Mary finally headed home but a surprise awaited them–all bed of flowers planted around the cottage withered with black splotches, the fences destroyed and their regular animal visitors scooted far away from their home–beady eyes gleaming with fear.

What's going on? Mary shivered, the cold almost grating to her bones at this sight. She heard a subtle sound of flapping and from above she saw a snow-white owl looking her directly in the eyes. Its look was trying to say something–warning her not to go further.

Mrs. Clemence placed down the grocery bags, her soft and usual gentle features replaced with fierceness Mary never seen in her before. "Stay here Alice and do not move"

"Mom?" Mary gaped and her disbelief went sky-high as the older woman suddenly transformed.

The modest dress became a white soldier-like outfit lined with gold and red, she had a red sash around her waist with intricate designs and a hat. She still wore a skirt and boots but in overall, Mrs. Clemence was in fighter mode now as she took out a crystal and turned it into a sword.

A sinister laugh was heard inside the cottage, black smoke oozed out of the windows and created an ominous shape in the air with a mocking expression. Mr.Clemence revealed himself being encircled with black fog and above his shoulder was an unidentified entity where the laughter was coming from.

"Hide and seek is over, you are it" The voice was distorted, coming out of Mr. Clemence and black inky liquid slipped from his lips. "You cannot hide forever, I can always find a means to penetrate any barrier or magic lesser than mine"

At Night Raven College, in the Mirror Chamber...

"That will be all the list of new applicants coming tonight" Dire Crowley went over the clipboard where a printed paper was one last time, counting the names in it.

A white theatre mask appeared in the middle of the large oval dark mirror, its expression was serious. "No Dire, there are two more coming"

The masked mage turned to the mirror, raising a brow behind his mask. "Excuse me, what?"

"Hide and seek is over, it said...I must go and fetch two more people before it's too late" was the only cryptic reply from the Mirror.