II - Unwelcomed

"This is troublesome, why now? And more importantly

"This is troublesome, why now? And more importantly...how?" A deep voice laced with seriousness and worry came from the tall fae in an armor and crocodile mask.

Standing next to him who shared a grim expression was slightly shorter, with furrowed eyebrows and slow stirring anger in him. "Someone snitched out on us, Baur. There is no other explanation here" Lilia declared without hesitation, sounding certain about it.

Valley of Thorns is currently a powerhouse all over Twisted Wonderland, most individuals living here know about it and the impression it brings especially to humans. Both mystical and dangerous to those who are ignorant of this Valley, a different type of fairies lived here with magical creatures. These faes wouldn't normally interact with humans casually, many of them abhor the latter's existence or find them inferior.

Lilia Vanrouge and Baur are two figures to be reckoned with–both fought side by side in wars and flowing with wisdom.

The taller fae took his crocodile mask off, revealing a hardened and strict visage with dark green hair and eyes with a slit in the middle, giving off a highly human appearance. "Who will dare go against us and commit this betrayal? This is no child's play they unleashed" He exhaled.

Before them was a large treasure chest with a green glow, secured in the ground and surrounded by some kind of barrier and magical thorns. This chest had been shut closed for many years and restricted to the rest of Thorn Valley residents, only high-end security like them or the royal members could go here. Now, the magical circle under it drawn on the ground was faded and the chest was fully opened. The thorns encircling it were also destroyed. What a fancy greeting to their morning indeed.

Lilia's wide magenta eyes stared at the opened chest, "Guess this year is not going to be a normal one for us" He was furious but he needed to reign in his feelings otherwise it wouldn't go well for him or Baur. "I was planning to have a short merriment with everyone before they go to school"

"You must know, normal will never apply to us" Baur sensed his stress level increasing, this was an absolutely serious matter. "Timing that the traitor did this when we announced Malleus being the King shortly"

"I need to be at school all the time then, I have a very awful feeling about this. If it's related to Malleus, I cannot risk anything" Lilia turned away grimly.

Baur nodded in understanding, "I trust you to hone my grandson into the proper knight that he should be. I am going to update the others about this"

Pandora's Box was opened and neither powerful faes knew what destruction it would bring not only in their home but to the entire Twisted Wonderland.

A fight ensued between Mrs. Clemence and her husband while Mary couldn't bring herself to move. This was not the usual greeting she looked forward to, her dad was acting malignant and had a grin plastered on his face that meant malice.

Mr. Clemence overpowered his wife, bringing her down on her knees after their weapons crossed again–the sound of clanking metals in the air. The pungent black thick liquid was continuously trickling out–from his ears, nose, and also lips. "N-no..." His manic expression shifted hard to agony and then for a minute, sparks of familiarity returned in his eyes. "You need to go! I can't hold it back longer" Tears sprang up from his eyes as he met the gaze of his wife. "I'm sorry..."

"Not your fault, we will go down together if we must! For our children!!" Mrs. Clemence smiled through the tears, resigning to this fate of no return. She glanced back at their young daughter, "Go!!!"

Whatever frightening entity took hold of Mr. Clemence got back its influence and the mangled, ominous laughter echoed in the woods again which sent the nearby animals away.

Mary shook her head, legs shaking under her. "No, mom, don't make me leave you and dad–"

The rest of her words were interrupted as she got shoved away from where she stood, in surprise, Mary outstretched her hand to her parents who became blurry and hard to be seen through the black fog emitted by the entity clinging onto Mr. Clemence. Everything happened too fast she hadn't the slightest idea of how accurately she ended up being dropped onto a lake.

SPLASH!

Water filled her nose and mouth in the midst of panic struggling in the water; a pair of hands pulled the redhead, dragging her to the edge. Mary was soaking wet and coughing.

From a short distance stood a girl, centimeters taller–sleek snow hair that reached the middle of her back and dual-colored eyes, the left was azure and the right was amber. She was dressed in a white dress topped with a black cloak. "I apologize, I did not mean to drop you, I was in haste"

Mary stopped her coughing fit, lifting her gaze from the grassy ground, and regarded the stranger with bewilderment. "Who are you? And why did you–" She became distraught again, "-my mom and dad!"

"There is no one to return to, you will be in a more harrowing situation" The pale-haired girl stepped forward to stand before the redhead. "Things are going to be different now...for you, that is"

This was so unbearable for Mary to hear, making her heart clench painfully as the thought of not seeing her home or family again struck. "How would you know better? I do not even know you!" A short flashback of the snow feathery owl, huh, weird but why? The owl's observant gaze mirrors this girl's heterochromatic eyes.

Ignoring the other girl's advice, Mary turned her back and sprinted off in the opposite direction without guaranteeing it'd lead back to the cottage. She heard the pale-haired stranger call after her but she didn't listen. I don't understand what's going on but I am not leaving mom and Dad! They will explain it to me, they will be fine..! She thought, wanting to counter the dreadful what-ifs plaguing her head and trying to anchor reassurance from this positivity despite having a part of her unconvinced.

"AAAHHH!!!" Mary skidded to a stop, eyes widened in terror at the black blob that suddenly formed in the way, blocking the path–it had distorted features and a pair of flashlight-red eyes without irises in it.

The blob formed talons which it raised to claw around Mary as she attempted to backtrack. "Stupid girl, I will enjoy playing with you all"

Mary curled into a fetal position on the ground, the fear became too overwhelming she couldn't get up anymore and waited for the excruciating pain to come.

–more minutes of waiting...

"Open your eyes, child of Dawn"

Huh? What Dawn...? Mary heard a deep unfamiliar voice but this one didn't sound menacing or fearsome like the blob.

"Do not fear, the darkness is not always dangerous, sometimes it's a haven hiding place."

Mary fluttered her eyes open, she was indeed met with infinite darkness surrounded by seven mirrors. The trembling slowly subsided and was replaced by curiosity, she lifted herself up and looked around–each mirror had different fire colors floating inside.

"Where am I?"

"This is just the beginning, there is no other means but to learn it through the hard and long way but you won't be alone in this journey, take my hand, give in to your curiosity, and reach the end of your adventure to shine brightly like you are supposed to be."

As if in a state of trance, Mary reached her hand up inside the middle mirror where a hand on the other side appeared and pulled her in.