Chapter 35 - Attack and Defense

Everyone rushed to give her a hand as fast as they could, and some almost turned up their noses when the bald head and long beard numbed by the frost of the Furies' deputy commander emerged from the snow. By some miracle, even in the midst of the avalanche, he had managed not to lose his grip on Athreia, who he had held close to himself, protecting her as best he could.

His body was injured and frozen, and it was clear that in order to save his pupil, who lay unconscious but still alive next to him, he had chosen to sacrifice his own life.

"Please... have mercy on her..." he said, taking his last breath before anyone could try to help him.

Despite that heartbreaking scene, many were not sure they wanted to help an enemy who had injured and killed a large number of them before the avalanche arrived.

"Septimus, find a sled to carry her. And you Sapi, get her out of there."

"Okay."

"Daemon, what are you doing? She's an enemy."

"Maybe, but she's just as much a victim as we are. If we abandon her here, how would we be different from those who made a mountain fall on us just to win?"

Scalia made an examination of her conscience and remained silent, even helping Sapi in pulling the half-dead centaur out from under the snow; she was so big that it was necessary to allocate an entire sled to transport the wounded only for her.

"General, there are movements in the enemy camp." Tecla reported. "They're preparing to advance."

"We have no choice. Let's retreat."

"What about our friends still down here?"

"There's nothing we can do, Scalia. We have no way to oppose such a large army, nor we have time to set up new defenses further down the valley. We need to get away from here while we can."

"But all these bodies..."

"They will stay here where they are. The more bodies we leave behind, the longer it will take them to understand that we're not all dead."

"Daemon..."

"I know it's inhuman Scalia, but right now we need every second we can earn. I promise you that as soon as we can we will return here to honor them as they deserve. For now we can only get away as quickly as possible."

Thus, having hastily collected everything that could be taken away, starting with the wounded and the new weapons designed by Daemon, the army of the Free State descended from the pass with a very different spirit than the one with which it had ascended it.

Theoretically, they came down from up there undefeated, since the enemy had not defeated them in an open battle but only by resorting to a ruthless stratagem, but that didn't matter. What mattered was that the enemy was advancing, and would soon enter their land.

 What mattered was that the enemy was advancing, and would soon enter their land