Chapter 38 - The Barons

"In war, half measures and indecisiveness

mean failure."

(Napoleon Bonaparte)

Since the times of the Holy Wars, Erthea had never seen such a long conflict as the one between the imperial forces and the separatist groups led by the Barons

For ten years the eastern territories of the Empire had been a powder keg, an immense battlefield in which an interminable civil war was taking place.

It all started with the coronation of the current emperor, who had had the great idea of resolving the frightening economic crisis that had brought the Empire to the brink of bankruptcy by promulgating a series of heavy tax reforms.

As if that wasn't enough, the Emperor had demonstrated that he wanted to radically change the way in which the State managed public affairs, bringing power back into the hands of the Senate to the detriment of governors and administrators of the most distant and remote provinces, who over the last two hundred years had been granted ever greater privileges.

And the people were very happy about all this, also because a specific law had prevented the nobles for whom the measure was intended from making up for their losses by in turn increasing local taxation on their fiefdoms.

Unfortunately, in politics things rarely go as one would like, and a greedy nobleman accustomed to fully enjoying his riches and power can become a dangerous enemy, even for a sovereign.

Perhaps His Majesty had overestimated the admiration that the people had begun to feel for him, or perhaps he had persuaded himself to believe that his reforms would protect him from criticism for what circumstances had forced him to do.

Because an inhabitant of Saedonia can tolerate taxes, poverty and hunger, but he will never be willing to give up the most important thing he possesses: his pride as a citizen of the greatest empire ever seen.

The cession of a part of the western territories to Connelly with the end of the Flor War and the end of the Cold War with the Union at the price of several million goldies were humiliations that few were willing to accept.

And the nobles of the east, the most distant, isolated and remote lands of the great Empire, had been able to disguise their ambitions in a sort of holy war against a sovereign whom they accused of being an incompetent who had sold out his empire and its people to the enemy.

After all, it was there that, according to legends, the Dark Lord had made his appearance, and according to the inhabitants of those lands it was only thanks to the sacrifice of their ancestors that the Empire had survived.

It didn't take long for what began as a simple fight between the local feudal lords and the central government to turn into a real revolt that had been bloodied in the forests, mountains and valleys of the east for ten years.