self doubt (mylaerla.)

( mass effect prompt )

when things start to take a turn for the worst, you end up wishing you could go back in time and fix everything; to make everything turn out better.

but the risks of that are more than expected. the butterfly effect; the theory where one small change can lead to something of cosmic proportions.

mylaerla; a vlealmune from the planet ainglîn in the whirlpool galaxy. after shepard failed to stop the reapers, they set their sights on her home. so her mother sent her back in time to try and help out the commander in her mission.

but this was...difficult. she hadn't thought it would be so difficult, but having to explain why they needed to do certain things, talk to certain people...and attachments to friends; people she shouldn't have really known if it weren't for her traveling.

saying you're from the future would be insane, and dangerous for her. so she disguised her knowledge as future sight...

however, her knowledge wasn't always appreciated. someone would be grateful for it...but some not so much. not everyone enjoyed being told what to do...and after all the stress and the infighting at times...mylaerla started to believe that maybe it wasn't such a good idea.

she had just gotten into a fight with you on the normandy, not realizing that she was crossing lines when she tried to help out with something important...and you snapped at her, telling her that she needed to stop being controlling. you didn't need her help, and you wanted her to stop trying to.

that...only made the seed of doubt in her mind sprout, stunned into silence as she gave a faint nod and left, retreating to her quarters. she slowly sat on her bed, blinking as she stared at the pendant on her chest...maybe she should try and be less controlling like you said...

and so, missions kept coming and going...when she was asked for her input, she would hesitate before saying she wasn't sure. a few missions...would end less than expected...no one would die, thank god, but it would be far from the ideal outcome.

people noticed that she wasn't as talkative, and it was odd...but they didn't bother to ask. kept her from bugging them too much. but you noticed it was eating away at her...her fins and hair were usually a dull gray instead of the shifting colors they would usually be...so you decided to suck it up and go to her room, try and see what was wrong. the door soon opened; she hadn't even locked it.

and there was mylaerla, staring at an empty spot on the wall as she sat crosslegged on her bed. her eyes seemed empty, like she wasn't thinking. at first you thought it was indoctrination, before she looked over, letting out a small breath. "oh...hey y/n!" she says, trying to put up a farce to make her seem fine...but her eyes said otherwise.

"sorry, i...um...did i do something that bothered you?" she asked slowly, her fins fluttering slightly. "sorry if i did...i...i can stop if you tell me..." she says...god, she was not in a good state of mind at all...