iv. decision - ky

It had been two agonizing days since Ava left, and the weight of uncertainty bore down on me like a ton of bricks

It had been two agonizing days since Ava left, and the weight of uncertainty bore down on me like a ton of bricks. Her sudden shift in her acts left me feeling adrift, a whirlwind of worry swirling in my mind. That kiss we shared seemed to open a door to something deeper, but now it felt like the door had slammed shut, leaving me wondering if I had imagined the connection altogether.

Sitting by the window, I scrolled through job listings with a mixture of frustration and desperation. Each rejection letter felt like a slap in the face, a reminder of my precarious situation. I cursed under my breath, knowing that part of the blame lay squarely on my parents' shoulders.

They had convinced me to invest in some shady business venture, promising it would secure my future. But it turned out to be nothing more than a scam, leaving me high and dry with no job and mounting debts. And now, as I considered reaching out to them for help, I couldn't shake the bitter taste of betrayal that lingered in my mouth.

I knew that any attempt at communication would likely be met with silence or excuses, just like every other time I had tried to seek their support. But desperation drove me to dial their number, my heart pounding in my chest as I waited for someone to pick up on the other end.

As the phone rang, my mind raced with a thousand different scenarios, each one more dismal than the last. Would they even remember me? Would they care about the mess they had left me in? Or would I be brushed aside like an inconvenient problem, just like always?

The ringing phone echoed through the room, amplifying my anxiety with each passing second. Was I setting myself up for yet another disappointment? I glanced up at the ceiling, seeking solace in its gaze, before pacing back and forth by the window, a nervous energy coursing through my veins.

These were my parents, for crying out loud. My mother and father. The people who, aside from their businesses, should have been the least intimidating figures in my life. Yet, as the weight of their absence pressed down on me, I couldn't shake the feeling of trepidation that gripped my heart.

The image of my pretty much broke bank account balance only added to my mounting fears. I had grown up used to a life of privilege, thanks to my wealthy parents. They hadn't spoiled me, per se, but they had shielded me from the harsh realities of life. That is, until I discovered my passion for music and dance.

I poured my heart and soul into my art, sacrificing my academic achievements in pursuit of my dreams. But my parents didn't share my enthusiasm. They saw music and dance as up senseless pursuits, unworthy of their son's time and energy.

And so, I found myself trapped in a soul-crushing office job, counting down the minutes until the monotony of the workday came to an end.

As the call went to voicemail, my resolve faltered for a moment. But I refused to give up. With a deep breath, I dialed my mother's office number, my heart hammering in my chest as I waited for someone to pick up on the other end. When a voice finally answered, my hopes soared, only to come crashing down when I realized it was her secretary on the line.