05

Astrid

I chuckle, walking with Stephen as he finishes his story.

"And then I ended up here. Can't say I'm complaining though, getting kicked out of school was the best thing for me."he says, taking the heavy basket of fruits and veg from my hands.

"All over a cigar. They must have strict rules against tobacco use."I poke.

"Very."he chuckles, feeling his phone beginning to ring.

He takes it out of his jacket pocket and checks the caller ID.

He instantly answers after checking.

"Yes sir?"

Sir Milton, presumably.

He stays quiet for a bit, then let's off a sad sigh and glances at me..

"Yes sir, she is."

He sighs placing the basket on the ground and then checking his watch.

"Of course Sir. Right away. And, I was-"he stops speaking and then I watch his face turn slightly red.

"Okay, sir. I'll be there."

He takes his phone away from his ear and then picks up the basket.

"We have to get going. Come on then."he says, sounding disappointed.

"Oh, okay."I say, walking after him.

.......

We enter back into the mansion through the kitchen entrance and Stephen sets the produce on the counter.

"Um, Sir Milton would like to speak to you in the parlor."Stephen says, not looking at me.

"..alright.."I say, slightly suspicious.

I walk out of the kitchen and down the hall to the parlor where I smell cigarette smoke.

I push open the door and walk in, seeing Sir Milton standing by the drink tray.

I see a puff of smoke leave his lips as he turns to look at me.

"Hello Sir Milton. How are you today?"I question.

He places his cigarette between his lips as he turns around to face me.

"....did you teach my son to clean?"

"...I did. Were you aware that he did not know how?"I question, causing his eyebrows to raise.

"...are you his parent, or teacher, or family member?"he asks, breathing out smoke as he speaks.

"W-well, no sir. But it's an important skill to-"

"Exactly. You're none of those things. You're a fucking housekeeper. Stick to housekeeping, instead of teaching other people's children eh?"

"... forgive me sir. But a child who doesn't clean, and is filthy rich, will not turn out to be the nicest young man. And plus, Master William very much likes to clean if only you'd only allow him."I say softly.

I feel the mood in the room change and he slowly looks up at me.

Suddenly Stephen walks into the room and clears his throat.

"Um, Sir Milton I have a few questions about the thing tonight."Stephen says, causing Sir Milton to look over at him.

"Can't you see I'm busy?"Sir Milton asks.

"Well yes but this is a bit urgent, considering you want it to happen tonight."Stephen says before glancing towards me.

Sir Milton huffs and then turns to me.

"Ms. Astrid, tomorrow I'll be seeing you in my office."Sir Milton says.

I sigh.

"Yes sir."I say softly.

"Thank you sir."Stephen says as Sir Milton follows him out of the parlor.

.....

"Ms. Astrid!"Master William says, running towards me as I enter his room.

"Hello Master William! I'm here to clean your room."I say with a smile.

"No need! Look, I've cleaned!"he says.

I look around and gasp.

"My goodness it's spotless in here! Very well done Master William!"I say, giving him a small applause.

"Father doesn't like it when I clean Ms. Astrid. Am I doing something wrong?"he asks.

"Of course not my dear. Your father is just not used to doing things himself, so he thinks it's wrong for you to do so."I smile, walking over to his bed and fixing his pillows.

"I can't wait till mummy gets home. She'll love that I can clean!"he says, running over to his desk and picking up a framed picture.

I feel slightly sad as he brings it over to me and I see a picture of his mother.

"She's in India right now, daddy says. She's helping build schools for children in need!"he says with a hopeful smile.

"How very very kind of her."I smile.

"I wish she would come home soon. I miss her terribly."

"I'm sure she'll be home soon. How about I make you a quick snack? Would that make you feel better?"I ask.

"We actually shouldn't go in the kitchen now. Father has his special meeting."he whispers to me.

"Of course."I chuckle, "Perhaps tomorrow then?"

"Absolutely!"he smiles.

...