3

Heartbreaker in Seoul

As the late afternoon sun cast a warm glow through the floor-to-ceiling windows of her penthouse, Whitney found herself pacing restlessly across the sleek, polished floors. The pristine white and mahogany furniture that adorned the spacious living area seemed to mock her, their modern elegance offering little solace to her anxious mind.

With each step, she felt the weight of uncertainty pressing down on her shoulders, a knot of tension coiling in the pit of her stomach. She had been contemplating the decision for days, agonizing over whether to reach out to Michael or to let the opportunity slip through her fingers.

Finally, unable to bear the indecision any longer, she made up her mind. With a determined sigh, she retrieved her phone from the marble countertop and scrolled through her contacts until she found Michael's number.

As she hesitated over the call button, a wave of nervous energy washed over her, her fingers trembling ever so slightly. What if he didn't remember her? What if he was too busy to talk? What if—

Shaking her head to dispel the doubts that threatened to overwhelm her, Whitney took a deep breath and pressed the button, the familiar ringtone echoing through the silence of the penthouse.

With each passing ring, her heartbeat quickened, anticipation building with every second that ticked by. And then, just as she was beginning to lose hope, a voice answered on the other end of the line, sending a surge of relief coursing through her veins.

"Jackson." Michael's voice, smooth and velvety, lacked its usual vibrancy.

Whitney's heart raced at the sound of his voice, her pulse echoing in her ears. "Hi, Michael, it's Whitney," she replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

A moment of silence hung on the line, as if Michael were processing her words. Then, to her surprise and delight, warmth flooded his tone, as though he'd been expecting her call.

"Ms. Houston, it's good to hear from you," he exclaimed, genuine pleasure infusing his voice. "How have you been?"

Gratitude swelled in Whitney as she smiled at the sincerity in his tone. "I've been good, Michael, thanks for asking," she replied, heartened by his interest.

As Michael shared that everything was going well on his end, Whitney felt a wave of relief. But when he asked about the reason for her call, she faltered momentarily.

"To what do I owe the pleasure?" Michael's curiosity was palpable, prompting Whitney to search for words.

Caught off guard, Whitney chuckled nervously. "Um, I only practiced the beginning," she admitted sheepishly, her mind drawing a blank.

Their laughter filled the air, easing the tension as they shared a lighthearted moment.

"I'm glad you called," Michael said, his smile evident in his voice. "I've been thinking about you."

"Really?" Whitney's surprise was evident in her tone.

"I gave you my contact information because I'd like to get to know you more," Michael continued, his words sincere. "You're a beautiful woman, Whitney."

Whitney muted herself, a delighted gasp escaping her lips as she ran around happily. "Oh my god!" she exclaimed, a grin spreading across her face.