authors note

Hello, readers. This has nothing to do with Sleepless, but I just wanted to make a little update, commemorating a very important day in history.

Today, June 26th, 2015, was the day that all same-sex marriage was legalized in The United States of America. The Supreme Court ruled that the 14th Amendment requires all states nationwide to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

To be quite frank, I didn't think it would happen this soon. I am elated, and overjoyed. In tears, practically. Today is a day that people will remember forever, just like the desegregation of public schools, and when women received the right to vote. We, as a society, are making social strides more quickly than ever. We are growing, and progressing. But, I digress. Today is a day of celebration. To celebrate who you are, and to celebrate yourself.

No matter who you love, or who you're attracted to, or whatever you align yourself with, you are a human being. You are a unique entity, and you deserve equality. Today is a victory, for those who stand on the right side of history.

"And a certificate on paper isn't gonna solve it all,
But it's a damn good place to start.
No law is gonna change us,
We have to change us.
Whatever God you believe in,
We come from the same one.
Strip away the fear,
Underneath it's all the same love."

I believe that this won't change the hatred, or the bigotry just yet. That we will have to work, and change society ourselves. But take a look back at how far we've come. Remember the first time that you looked at yourself and you were confused, or angry, because you loved her, but you "weren't supposed to". Remember when you looked in the mirror, and all you could hear were the faded echos of the kids at school calling you a fag, or a queer.

A new Era is coming to America. An Era in which those things won't happen. And Era where we can love each other, and no one will be ashamed of themselves.

You are beautiful. You are special, and valuable, and worthy, no matter if you're gay, straight, bi, lesbian, asexual, pansexual, transsexual, Transgender, queer, intersex, intergender, nonbinary, or anything that you identify with! YOU MATTER.

In conclusion, I am very proud to say that, today, my country supports me. Today, my country rules in favor of equality.

Today, love wins.

-Cat