The Calm Before the Storm

[No One's Pov]

Sand as far as the eye can see, not ordinary sand. Quartz sand, aka beach sand, that wasn't all. Two wooden deck chairs sat next to one another, each chair with its beverage. One chair had a Pina Colada resting in its cup holder; the other chair looked to have a vodka tonic. Figures could be seen resting on the chairs, staring into the far horizon as they watched the ocean. One of the figures was a man with ebony brown skin and midnight black hair tied back. His one eye was ruby-red, the other eye covered by an eye patch. Another noticeable feature was that one arm was bandaged. He was shirtless and wore a pair of black shorts. Next to him was a woman, stunningly beautiful, with long blonde hair, lighter blonde, and pink highlights. Her skin as pale as a vampire, rosy cheeks, red irises, and a light yellow sclera. She wore a red bikini that could be described in two words: classic elegance. A timeless red bikini with a bandeau top adorned with subtle gold accents, paired with matching bottoms featuring a simple yet sophisticated cut. They sat in silence, and finally, the woman said, "You know you'll have to wake up eventually, right?" The man replied with a short and curt nod.

**Azazel:** I know, but for now, I'm just gonna enjoy this after all I've been through.

**Woman:** Ahh, a man of relaxation. Now that's something I can get behind.

**Azazel:** I've never met you before, yet you seem familiar.

**Woman:** Maybe we have, maybe we haven't. I'm all about surprises, darling.

The tranquil world began to break apart. Everything was breaking up and turning to dust—the ocean, the sand, the chairs, even the drinks. As well as the woman, but before she left, she left him with a riddle.

**Woman:** To grasp infinite glory, shed each sin's weight, Achieving a feat only God can relate to. What path one treads to such heights is unknown. A riddle profound, wisdom to be shown. So tell me, Azazel Nightshade, how will you reach true divinity?

And with those words echoing, everything disappeared, leaving nothing but darkness and emptiness once more.

[Location: Hospital]

**Azazel's Pov**

I felt something soft under me, a feeling I hadn't felt in what felt like forever. I was on a bed; I had gotten used to the whole bone feeling. It felt good to be on a bed. I sat up; it looked like I was in a hospital room—the sound of the heart monitor confirmed my suspicion. But what solidified it was the scent of despair, vulnerability, and hope. I truly hated this place. A woman then barged into my room; she looked to be a butterfly demon, and the tag said Nurse Joy. She looked shocked to see me up; she then ran out of the room to look for a doctor, I assume.

**Azazel:** This is going to be a long day or night. I really need to figure out how to tell the damn time in this place; it's always red down here.

Deep in his thoughts, Azazel ignored all else around him. Azazel didn't notice the person entering the room. The man was tall, freakishly tall even by supernatural standards. The figure was imposing, standing at a whopping 12 feet, appearing to be made of ink, dripping it all over the place. He looked menacing but friendly, and the smile on his face would make even the bravest person feel uneasy.

**???:** Greetings, Youngling. It's good to see that you're alive and kicking. I am Dr. Huckleberry Finn.

**Azazel:** ...Huckleberry Finn, huh? What kind of name is that? Seriously, I've heard a lot of ridiculous names, but that easily tops 10.

**Dr. Huckleberry:** Oh yeah, make fun of the guy who's keeping your ass alive. Not wise, not wise at all. If my name is so bad, tell me what's your name.