Dinner

"Are you sure this is okay?" Hitoshi mutters, holding Eri's hand as Shota unlocks the apartment door. "I can go if..."

"Kid, I've made up my mind. You're staying." He holds the door open, allowing the two children to enter.

Hitoshi was about to protest further yet he fell silent as he walked in. He looked around, eyes struck with awe and mouth slightly open in shock. It was fucking huge. A good portion of the penthouse was made of glass (though he supposed that's how it was meant to be) making the place bright yet they were high up he wished they could see the stars at night. It'd be a view to die for.

Shota huffed slightly in amusement. "Still wanna leave?"

"No— I mean I— it's not just because—" The kid stammers over his words only to be interrupted when Shota laughs softly at the downright mess that was in front of him.

"Don't worry about it." Shota turns on his heels, walking into the kitchen and he follows the man, still keeping a secure hold on the girl's hand.

"How much are you making? Wait— no, that's rude..." He looks down shamefully only to be met with Eri's bright, beady red garnet eyes staring back up into his.

Shota is casually pouring water for coffee as if it isn't 4 in the afternoon. "I don't get why it's considered rude. Especially when you might just be curious about the line of work."

Hitoshi shrugs. "I don't get why people used to be forced to use their right hands when they were born left handed."

Eri decides to join in, speaking for the first time in nearly an hour. "I don't get why we sleep at night when it's cool rather than during the day to avoid the heat."

"That..." Hitoshi trails off.

"Is gonna keep me up at night more than my insomnia already does." He groans and the little girl giggles, already used to his antics.

"What are we having for dinner?" She asks.

"You two okay with udon?" He offers and the two voice their agreement.

He feels like he's forgetting something as he glides along the kitchen, trying to get everything done by 5:30 when he'd have to leave and have dinner with his— Katsuki and Izuku's parent(s).

Then he remembers. "Oh— yeah. Underground hero work can pay anywhere between 48k to 100 million."

"That's... quite the range."

"Yep, they say it depends on your work hours but in reality, it just depends on whether or not you'll work until you drop. If you won't, then they don't pay you shit." He mutters, looking to Eri to check if she is paying attention but she is far too busy with the sheet of kanji laid before her.

He then glances at the clock and smiles slightly. She's well-versed in her schedule by now. He wonders absently if he could leave her in the apartment unsupervised but decides that it's something he won't do unless necessary.

"How about you?" Hitoshi mutters.

"I work at a hero school during the day, patrol half the night twice a week, and the whole night once a week."

"Wow..."

"It's not much compared to other heroes," He informs the boy. "My time got cut to less than half of what it was before when I started working at UA."

"So full nights twice a week and...?"

"Eight hours thrice a week, four hours twice a week, and sixteen hours on Saturdays. Sometimes I'd get called in on Sundays but most times it was avoided unless there was some kind of raid."