lullaby

tw ‼️mentions of self harm and sexual assault

"talk to me y/n. what's going on?" remus asked patiently. he stroked y/n's hair with his hand, as if he were comforting a nervous cat.

"nightmare," she whispered. "about... him." her stepdad. thankfully, remus didn't press for details. she didn't want to relive it. not again.

"he can't hurt you here, y/n, i promise. and he won't hurt you ever again." she nodded with her head buried in his chest. it was safe and warm and his jumper was soft.

"i'm so proud of you, y/n. you did exactly what i asked you to. i know how hard it is the ask for help." he swallowed. "is... is the urge still there?"

y/n considered. the ache in her chest was still there, and her heart thumped erratically against her rib cage. but the urge wasn't as strong. still there, but it was always there, in the back of her head, waiting for a moment to pounce.

"it's not as bad."

he wasn't sure whether to believe her or not, but he let it go.

after a few quiet minutes. remus started to hum under his breath. it was a pretty little tune, a lullaby.

"professor?"

"hm?"

"can you sing? please?"

he was surprised. no one had ever asked him to sing before. it was an old hobby, picked up years ago from his mother. this was her song; she would sing it to him at night, when memories of fenrir greyback kept him up for hours.

"yes of course," remus answered. the words came without effort, like a river waiting for the dam to break.

(author comment: guys idk how to write songs, so this might be really bad)

i'll whisper your name
and give you a hug
sweet cub of mine, close your eyes
dream of the night, and of the sunrise

brave the storm that drowned you
live like you deserve to
sweet cub of mine
don't fear the moonrise

i'll whisper your name
and give you a hug
but magic has always ran
deep in your blood

her breathing evened out to a slow rise and fall, and the tension lupin didn't even realize was there fell off. that was how he knew she was asleep. carefully, as to not wake her, he carried her to her bed and tucked the covers in.