Chapter 5 - With Me By Your Side

Author's Note: Aaaand... the end! Enjoy! :D:D:D

~ Amina Gila

Shmi's back in her quarters again, mostly just wondering what to do. Going over every possible thing she can think of to get them out sooner, but it all leads back to the fact that she doesn't know anything about the Force, and if Sidious can really reach Vader across the entire galaxy, then there's nothing more she can do.

Which is right when the comm she was given starts beeping.

The frequency isn't identified, but Shmi answers, cautiously.

And it's... Leia?

They agreed that Leia should have Shmi's comm number, because Vader's activities are far more likely to be monitored by Sidious, but she was starting to wonder if they would hear word from her grandchildren again. "Leia?" Shmi asks, smiling for a moment. She really wants to get to know her – wants Anakin to get to know her – but that won't happen until they're out of here.

"It took me a little while to track down Luke, but we... talked about it," Leia tells her.

Shmi feels about as hopeful as she is cautious. "I understand the... time it's taking to reach a decision. What did you decide?"

Leia hesitates, though only for a moment. "We're going to take up the offer. Luke and I can... at least come to discuss this in perron. Where should we come?"

The surge of sheer relief that floods Shmi is nearly overwhelming. "Mustafar. There's a private hangar. Call ahead when you're coming so you'll have permission to land." That's what Anakin told her to tell them. "I... should thank you. For doing this. I understand this might be difficult for you."

She shakes her head. "He's willing to help us and he... needs help. That's what matters. I would do this even if not for who both of you two are."

Shmi smiles, faintly. "You have a good heart, Leia. I know none of this is easy for you, either." But at least, she can be glad her grandchildren didn't have to grow up enslaved.

Leia returns the smile. "I've never known my grandparents before. Not even my adopted ones. I'd like to... get to know you, once this is over."

"As would I." But there's something else she needs to address, too. She can't imagine it's a concern because she doesn't know how Leia couldn't see Anakin as family, but – She'd rather address it before the girl shows up. "I don't know how you... feel towards Anakin, or what's happened between you two, but he does care about you."

Leia nods, something momentarily distant in her gaze. "I know. I – I used to want to know my biological parents, even if I don't – I already have parents."

"I understand," Shmi assures, as much as it hurts knowing Anakin never will have the chance to raise his children. "I don't want you to feel pressured to push something you're not comfortable with. But he doesn't have to be your parent to be... family."

"I know," she replies, quietly, "And I – I'm glad to... to still have blood relatives, whoever they are."

Relief washes through her, even if she expected it. Leia is still Anakin's daughter, no matter who raised her, and his... heart is something she's going to have at least part of, too.

Now, Shmi just needs to tell Anakin that his children are finally on the way.

***

Vader is waiting in the hangar of the Mustafar fortress when the shuttle carrying his children lands. He's been waiting for – agonizing over – this moment for so long, desperate to be with them, but he... has no idea what to expect, and he's almost afraid suddenly. Shmi will never leave him no matter what, and he can see that clearly again – doesn't know how to feel having someone back he can actually feel that way about – but that doesn't mean it wouldn't hurt if the twins didn't... want him.