𝐈𝐈𝐈. CURIOUS BEHAVIOR

CHAPTER THREE

DETROIT, MICHIGAN

( November 6th, 2038 )

DETROIT WAS NOT ASRA'S FAVORITE city to live in. To be fair, it's the only city he's ever lived in, and he's never made an effort to leave (and he could, you know, he had high enough marks in university to get him a job in a different state, a different country, if that's what he wanted). But that doesn't mean that Asra appreciates Detroit, or likes it in any way. The traffic is exhausting, the weather sucks, the people are annoying—everything about Detroit makes Asra want to smash his head against a wall until he passed out.

And yet, Detroit was his home. Unfortunately for him, his home was infested with deviancy.

Asra leaned against Hank's car, watching the older man and Detective Collins talk with the convenience store manager, who had supposedly seen the missing AX400 model and the little girl the deviant had kidnapped last night. Asra stood a little over a foot away from Connor, who remained silent and still, his eyes closed as if he was simply taking a power nap like he was in sleep mode. Did androids even have sleep modes? They must have, right? They couldn't just stay awake all night. Well, they could, but they must've had rest modes for when they weren't in service so they didn't get burnt out, right?

Jesus, all these questions about androids, and he's too afraid to offend Connor to even ask them. And Asra's pretty sure androids can't even get offended!

". . . Are you awake?" he asked, moving over to gently nudge Connor. Connor blinked rapidly as he turned to look down at Asra, who, Asra noted bitterly, was about six inches shorter than him. "You just . . . do androids have sleep modes? Or . . . resting modes? Like phones? Wait, fuck, no," Asra said, reaching up to scratch the back of his neck sheepishly. "I mean, like, you're not phones, obviously, but—"

"I was making a report to Cyberlife," Connor cut in. Asra squinted at him.

"Damn. It's that easy?"

Connor tilted his head. "Yes," he said simply. Asra hummed and went back to leaning against the car as Hank approached. Connor turned to face him. "It took the first bus that came along . . . and stayed at the end of the line. Its decision wasn't planned, it was driven by fear," Connor said.

"Androids don't feel fear," Hank corrected.

"But wouldn't deviants?" Asra pointed out, just as Connor said, "Deviants do." They glanced at each other, and Asra quickly continued. "Think about it. Deviants have what they think are emotions. Fear is an emotion. And forgive me if I'm bullshitting here, but if I just attacked a man and kidnapped his daughter, I'd be fearing for my life, too," he explained.

Hank sighed. "You're right, Az, but that still doesn't tell us where it went."

"It didn't have a plan, and it had nowhere to go. Maybe it didn't go far," Connor said, giving Hank a pointed look.

Hank nodded slowly, glancing between Connor and Asra. "Maybe," he agreed. "So what do we do, scour the whole neighborhood until we find this thing?" he asked. Asra shrugged. "I'm only asking because you two seem to be the detectives here."