Immortals - Fall Out Boy

The salt-laced wind whipped Achilles' hair as he approached his mother's secluded cove. The waves crashed against the jagged rocks, mimicking the turmoil in his heart. He had steeled himself for this confrontation, but the sight of Thetis, her form shimmering with unearthly beauty, sent a shiver down his spine.

"Achilles," she said, her voice as cold as the Aegean depths. "You defy me at your peril."

He stood tall, his celestial spear clutched tight. "I defy your cruelty, mother. I will not sacrifice my love for your twisted vision of destiny."

Thetis's eyes, usually the color of the summer sky, were now storm clouds, swirling with fury. "Love," she scoffed, "a fleeting mortal fancy that will consume you. I offer you immortality, a place amongst the gods, and you choose a mortal's fleeting affection?"

"Affection is not a choice, mother," Achilles countered, his voice firm. "It is a threat that if I give up, if I stop trying, my beloved will be harmed."

Thetis's smile was glacier-sharp. "Very well," she said, her hand snapping. From the mist emerged a Patroclus, as well as a huge, hulking figure, a monstrous warrior with cruel eyes. He held a gleaming knife, its point aimed at Achilles' throat.

"Patroclus," Thetis's voice dripped with venom, "join us in immortality, and your beloved Achilles walks free. Refuse, and he joins the waves below."

Panic clawed at Achilles' throat, but he held his ground, his gaze locked on Patroclus, who stood at the edge of the cove, his face pale but resolute.

Achilles," Patroclus called out, his voice strong despite the tremor. "Do not yield. Our love is worth more than any immortality they offer."

A storm of emotions raged within Achilles: fear for Patroclus, defiance against his mother, and a burning love that defied even the threat of death. He knew what he had to do.

"Mother," he said, his voice ringing with newfound determination, "you cannot control me with threats. You cannot control destiny. Kill me if you must, but know this: our love will live on, a legend whispered on the winds, taunting you forever."

Thetis's face contorted in rage. Her hand tightened around the warrior's arm, the blade digging deeper into Achilles' flesh. He felt the sting of blood, but his eyes remained fixed on Patroclus, a silent message of love and unwavering resolve.

Suddenly, a wave of energy pulsed from Patroclus. The air shimmered, and a blinding light erupted, pushing back the warrior and turning the enemy clutching the blade into a pool of shine.

"No..." Achilles said, blood dripping from his neck, the words spilling from his throat as he lay on the ground.

Patroclus had turned himself immortal. And it was all Achilles' fault.