cix

Hunter pulled the bed up to cover their naked bodies. He loved that this place had locks on its doors. It made his life a lot easier. Their bodies were entwined in a comfortable embrace. His arm was wrapped around her waist, his hand resting on the small of her back. He placed a gentle kiss on her forehead and she looked up at him with a smile.

"The other day, I found Tyler's secret room. It had a bunch of things about going against the Commonwealth," She tells him quietly as she plays with the ring on his finger, "You were right before. Something's off about this place."

"When we brought him back to Mercer. I heard Pamala and Lance talking about it," He says, "They don't think there are thousands more. But Tyler said they treat the poor like dirt. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's how the old world used to work."

"This place seems perfect. The houses, the patrols, the food, everything," Rosita says, "Tyler couldn't be the first one who's done something like this. She seemed to calm when everything happened."

Hunter sighs, "They want us to think that everything's perfect and safe. But that kid Sebastian, there's something off about him. How do they even have this many places for the thousands of people who live here? How does Pamala not know her own people? They must have lists of names. I mean, they knew our names and we never got the chance to tell it to them."

"Well, I can answer one of those questions. Eugene told them. And they had Ezekiel and Yumiko."

"You know, Judith and RJ like it here. And I like it here, I don't want to do anything to screw it all up. But I just don't trust it. I don't trust her and I don't trust Mr. Pink Suit."

"And what about Mercer?" Rosita wonders, "Do you trust him?"

Hunter nods his head, "I have no problem with Mercer. He seems like someone I can trust. He knows how it is out there, over the walls. He was in the Marines. He's smart. You know, I've been looking for Eugene. I just can't find him. Where's his apartment?"

"It's the one at the very end of the hall. He hasn't been out in days."

Hunter sat up in the bed and put on the pants he picked up from the ground. He walked over to the closet and grabbed one of his shirts, "I'll be back. I have to talk to Eugene before I go back to Alexandria. Are you coming with us?"

She shakes her head, "I'm gonna stay here. I'll probably talk to Eugene later today."

"Okay," Hunter leaned down and pressed his lips to hers, "I love you."

"I love you too."

_____

"Eugene?" Hunter says as he knocks on the door to Eugene's apartment. He's been knocking for a few minutes now and hasn't got an answer, "It's Hunter."

Eugene picked himself off the floor and opened the door. He grabbed Hunter by his shirt and dragged him in before shutting the door, "Whoa, relax man," Hunter says. He looked up at Eugene and he did not look good, "How are you? You okay?"

"I'm great," Hunter tilted his head and gave Eugene a look. Eugene bowed his head and walked further into the apartment, "Do you regret coming here?"

Hunter shrugs as he follows Eugene into the living room, "It's the dream Carl had. I guess it's alright. I don't like that they tell me what to do. I hate that we're not all here or together, but it's alright. Come on, I know I'm the leader here, but I've known you for a while now. And I can tell something's going on. You can trust me Eugene. I'm on your side. We're family."

Eugene looks down at his hands as tears start filling his eyes, "I lied to all of you when we met. About who I was, about Washington, D.C."

"Doesn't matter, that's in the past. You brought us all together. You helped me and Glenn find our families," Hunter says, "You were a great asset to us either way. And slowly but surely, you became family. And family nowadays is everything. So if you tell me what's going on in that brain of yours maybe I can help."