Part 51 - no tears, no flowers

Isla's POV

After the events in Italy, I felt like I had been through some sort of armed conflict. Is this what war veterans go through? I felt like I was always on the verge of tears and my heart and soul felt severely bruised.

Roman recovered and besides getting glasses and a huge scar on his stomach, he looked the same. I couldn't get enough of him in his glasses. Damn, what was it about men in glasses that was so hot?

We spent quiet time together and I felt that he was as exhausted as I was. We spoke quietly to each other and went for long walks. I cooked his favourite food and he read me his love poems which he never shared before, making me bawl into my hands.

Our wedding was the best thing that ever happened to me.

It was a moment just for us, private and confidential. Only him and I were involved and it was simple and magical all at the same time. I only wanted him, it was only about us. No guests, no speeches, no pressure.

Somehow, a newbie photographer spotted us outside city hall and pleaded to take some photos. I was apprehensive at first but then I realized if he didn't take them, I wouldn't have any memories of this day. He did a great job and the thirty or so photos that he sent us were gorgeous.

Roman did pour me champagne even though he called me a dangerous drunk in the past, which we laughed about. Our first dance was in his living room. His apartment would forever be burned in my mind as the place where my life changed forever. He brought me here when I was unable to walk. This is where he made me watch him have sex with someone else. This is where I cooked him dinner. This is where he gave me unforgettable orgasms. This is where I fell in love with him.

I didn't think I could love anyone as much as I loved him. I didn't think that kind of love existed. It was just us in the universe, there was nothing and no one else.

On our wedding night, we made love. Although we both liked it rough and dirty, it felt like something else was in the air. Slowly and passionately, our bodies became one, our eyes focused only on each other. Roman whispered sweet nothings in my ear and I listened intently, both crying and smiling at how happy I was to be in his arms.

His gentle hands made their way all over my skin, over my scars which he kissed every day. His hands on my thighs, he supported me while I was in his lap, my hands on his cheeks, my breath mixing with his, my crimson lips on his.

I would never forget how this felt.

A month after we got married, we were sitting in Roman's office and trying to decide where we wanted to go on our honeymoon when Sergei walked in without warning. He looked flustered and angry which was his usual state of being but something felt even worse today.

Neither Roman nor I wanted to see him, but he sat down on the chair in front of the couch and we both waited to hear what he had to say.

A few weeks before, Roman told me that Sergei confessed to killing his sister and I was appalled and shocked.

"Why on earth did you come to Italy with him?!" I wondered out loud after Roman's story.

"Because I knew he would fulfill my wishes. I knew he wouldn't disobey but clearly, I didn't know your resolve." Roman smiled at me and I realized that neither did I. I never knew I had that kind of resolve. I never knew I could be so incredibly angry. I never knew I could take a life.

Sergei sat in front of us and blabbered on something incoherent, not making a lot of sense. He spoke about Italy, he spoke about their business and then he accused us of not inviting him to our wedding and that we shouldn't have snuck around like that.